Rare (really) core-downer fix related to rare attribute

• Forum Moderator

Hello guys,

I am once again coming with a really little fix that is related to rare attribute (6/7 bonuses). This bug is extra rare because to trigger it you must have a way to add 6 and 7 bonuses to an item and you must have an incorrect field or an error in your item_attr_rare table. So this is most likely a code sanitization but it's always good to avoid such errors as I encountered people having this bug.

When you add a rare bonus, the game will fill a vector with the bonuses from the table and randomly pick one in the vector. However, if you have an error in the table, this vector will be empty and the randomization will result in doing "number(0, -1)", which is obviously incorrect and your core will crash.

For searching purposes (if someone in the future is looking for a fix), the error is this one :

number_ex: number(): first argument is bigger than second argument 0 -> -1

The fix is really simple, we must check if the vector is empty and then exit at this moment.

In item_attribute.cpp, in the following function:

bool CItem::AddRareAttribute()

Under this block of code:

for (int i = 0; i < MAX_APPLY_NUM; ++i)
	{
		const TItemAttrTable& r = g_map_itemRare[i];

if (r.dwApplyIndex != 0 && r.bMaxLevelBySet[nAttrSet] > 0 && HasRareAttr(i) != true)
		{
			avail.push_back(i);
		}
	}

Add the following check:

This is the hidden content, please

And that's pretty much it, pretty straightforward, but instead of crashing, you will have a syserr and you will know what to check next!

Edited by Gurgarath
  • Metin2 Dev 59
  • Eyes 2
  • Think 1
  • Good 20
  • Love 2
  • Love 23

Gurgarath
coming soon

msf-64F8BClEhg4xPg88.png

There is also stupid bug, You can access 0-255 array index where vaild index is 0-4,  if memory is filled at address which array points and value is < 1 with incorrect index  you should get free name change.

If you want trigger, just call net.SendChangeNamePacket(254, "newcharactername") from python. Try to decrement/increment index to find filled memory and check behaviour.

Edited by Metin2 Dev
Core X - External 2 Internal
  • Metin2 Dev 1
  • Think 3
  • Love 1

• Premium

For a second I was thinking "this crash feels familiar.." and yep

stlsY6p.png

For a system I made I had not to include some items in the table and sometimes the game would crash and found out about this stupid thing as well.

Edited by Metin2 Dev
Core X - External 2 Internal
  • Love 1

• 3 months later...
  • Premium
On 10/29/2021 at 1:50 PM, narcisxb said:

Ok, so this fix will make Malis Official 6/7 ATTR System FAIL every single time you try to add a new bonus. 

Any ideea why? I want to use the fix but at the same time I love his system.

The code above has nothing to do with the adding chance 😄

• Good 1

38 minutes ago, Hunger said:

The code above has nothing to do with the adding chance 😄

I literally tested the code. As soon as I commented it I could add 6/7 again. (I tested it two or three times). With this fix tou can t add 6/7 (it always fails) using that system. Give it a try yourself I was just as surprised.

Edited by narcisxb

• 10 months later...
  • Premium
On 11/6/2021 at 6:18 AM, narcisxb said:

I literally tested the code. As soon as I commented it I could add 6/7 again. (I tested it two or three times). With this fix tou can t add 6/7 (it always fails) using that system. Give it a try yourself I was just as surprised.

I got 100% same error as you. But in my case it was because i add FIX before 

Spoiler
	{

if (r.dwApplyIndex != 0 && r.bMaxLevelBySet[nAttrSet] > 0 && HasRareAttr(i) != true)
		{
			avail.push_back(i);
		}
	}

Fix need to be after like he say

On 7/4/2021 at 2:20 PM, Gurgarath said:

Under this block of code:

{

{
			avail.push_back(i);
		}
	}

Add the following check:

if (avail.empty())
	{
		sys_err("Couldn't add a rare bonus - item_attr_rare has incorrect values!");
		return false;
	}

if pc.get_sex() == true and npc.get_sex() == false then
	npc.purge()
end

Announcements

Important Information

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy / Guidelines / We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.