I have a question for the Expeienced Devs in here

BYB

I consider my self a programmer , I dabble into lots of languages and frame works.

but what I cant understand ever , is how do you guys know how things work on such a big scale of a source code , especially such a chaotic source like metin's , do you just back track everything or is there a hidden secret im missing or is it just constant attempts at understanding the code until you master it  .

I hope someone can answer this question its been on my mind for years ahaha .

• Management

Every time you jump into a new code base it is always confusing, either you are proficient in the language or framework, or not. It takes time to adjust yourself to the new code, to know how it works and where is the most important parts are.

Most of the most experienced devs in the metin2 scene have been around it for years, and the source only leaked in 2014.

• Love 1

raw

raw

Thats the only answer I could find but its really hard to believe a code like this can be mastered to such degree some people have here , but honestly respect to anyone who actually made it out of the phase very impressive in my opinion .

Lots of luck guys. thank you for your continuous effort to improving such a nostalgic memory , that even the owners never could do with millions in their pockets 

• Premium
On 1/16/2024 at 9:04 PM, BYB said:

Thats the only answer I could find but its really hard to believe a code like this can be mastered to such degree some people have here , but honestly respect to anyone who actually made it out of the phase very impressive in my opinion .

Lots of luck guys. thank you for your continuous effort to improving such a nostalgic memory , that even the owners never could do with millions in their pockets 

Doesn't matter if you have a degree or not. Knowing this source is question of time because you have to empathize with old code from people of the other side of the world (idk where are u from). Do not think everything in wrote is good, in the Asia the reasoning is not same as EU etc.. It's a nice challenge for people who like to feel the pain and mistery, enjoy 😂

• Love 1

• 2 months later...
  • Active+ Member

It may challenge even someone with a good level of C++ knowledge, because it is a very poorly written game. The main things I can list are a unique homemade network packet system, an incredible amount of unused garbage code, systems written by different software developers in very different styles, and a lot of missing controls (especially the null pointer). It is not difficult to work on it, but it is difficult to make it problem-free, because it really has a lot of shortcomings. If you spend enough time in the Metin2 source to understand how it works and what it is connected to, you can master everything, but it will take years.

Best Regards..

• Metin2 Dev 1

spacer.png

MT2Dev ©