[Question] MARTYSAMA VS OWSAP FILES

Hello! 

I've been wanting to open a private Metin server for a while... I've created and managed a few servers in the past, but in the meantime I've been busy with other more important things like computer science college, moving away from home and starting my own life.

I keep looking over the Owsap Project specs and comparing them to Martysama's. Both have many fixes done and promise stability, reliability, and the right authors guarantee professionalism. I don't want to deny these claims, on the contrary I am glad that there are still people like these in this field working on such projects.

I ask you, those who are more active than me on this forum and in this field, but also those who have purchased from either Martysama or Owsap: which of the two products to choose?

Many people have suggested that I don't need to buy them, as they are leaked on various online forums. Maybe 4-5 years ago I would have agreed with this approach, but now I want to buy from them because I want to support the developers because I know how much work is involved.

I want a classic, stable server, without too many new systems and most importantly I want it to be long lasting.

I should mention that I am currently working as a programmer and also have other stable sources of income. I don't want to get rich from this server or turn it into my Nth source of income. I am willing to pay for source files, various resources bought from developers, technical maintenance services if needed, etc.

• Premium
function FilesToChoose()
    if (MoneyIsAProblem() or not NeedMoreOfficialSystems()) then
        return MSF;
    end -- if

return OSF;
end -- function

They're both highly skilled and competent developers.

In my opinion, in the end, the main difference comes down to price and number of systems their files are equipped with. Owsap also has a very active discord where we discuss about features, bugs, suggestions, etc. on a daily basis; Marty also has a discord but it's very different (not really focused on Marty's files, it's more like a mini community) and it's not as active as Owsap's.

So that's up to you to decide, based on what you wrote, I'd say that if you value support and activity a lot and money's not an issue, then OSF's for you. If you don't and/or feel like they cost way too much, then Marty's files are better for you since you don't need many systems, so you would end up paying less.

I bought both of their files in the past, I firmly support them and I will always vouch for both of them as people and as developers.

But, if I were to choose one's files it would be Owsap's, solely because of the daily activity on the Discord, frequent and free updates (Marty's updates aren't free if I remember correctly), and many more systems to work with, either written by him or extremely trusted and competent people, which I can disable if I don't like.

Edited by Syreldar
  • Metin2 Dev 1
  • Think 1
  • Lmao 2

"Nothing's free in this life.

Ignorant people have an obligation to make up for their ignorance by paying those who help them.

Either you got the brains or cash, if you lack both you're useless."

Syreldar

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Syreldar said:

They're both highly skilled and competent developers.

In my opinion, in the end, the main difference comes down to price and number of systems their files are equipped with. Owsap also has a very active discord where we discuss about features, bugs, suggestions, etc. on a daily basis; Marty also has a discord but it's very different (not really focused on Marty's files, it's more like a mini community) and it's not as active as Owsap's.

So that's up to you to decide, based on what you wrote, I'd say that if you value support and activity a lot and money's not an issue, then OSF's for you. If you don't and/or feel like they cost way too much, then Marty's files are better for you since you don't need many systems, so you would end up paying less.

I bought both of their files in the past, I firmly support them and I will always vouch for both of them as people and as developers.

But, if I were to choose one's files it would be Owsap's, solely because of the daily activity on the Discord, frequent and free updates (Marty's updates aren't free if I remember correctly), and many more systems to work with, either written by him or extremely trusted and competent people, which I can disable if I don't like.

Thanks for the advice! I will keep it in mind.

You mentioned that you worked with both projects. 

On Martysama's project how easy to modify what you need compared to Owsap's? For example disabling, adding other systems? Compatibility issues when adding certain systems in terms of code? 🤔

And I guess the security level is high on both projects, right? There is no question of backdoors or being exposed to SQL injections, memory leaks and all sorts of problems common to Metin servers? 🤔

I'm also still waiting for opinions from other members to get a clearer picture of the situation. 

• Premium
6 hours ago, duwen123 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for the advice! I will keep it in mind.

You mentioned that you worked with both projects. 

On Martysama's project how easy to modify what you need compared to Owsap's? For example disabling, adding other systems? Compatibility issues when adding certain systems in terms of code? 🤔

And I guess the security level is high on both projects, right? There is no question of backdoors or being exposed to SQL injections, memory leaks and all sorts of problems common to Metin servers? 🤔

I'm also still waiting for opinions from other members to get a clearer picture of the situation. 

Disabling systems is as simple as commenting a define, implementing systems might be simpler on Marty's files because they're more "vanilla", it might be tougher on Owsaps files because much of the code is changed, so when following a guide to install a system that tells you for example to "add this below this code", you might be lost since these guides usually use fresh clients as base to write their examples off of, for the same reason there could be compatibility issues with Owsaps client because he's got many reversed functions and some have also been rewritten, like tooltip width management for items. In the end it comes down to your knowledge and ability to adapt.
So in short, it might be way easier to install systems on Martysama's files if you're inexperienced.

I do not understand the question that follows though, why would there be backdoors? And being exposed to sql injection has little to do with the files and more to do with how properly the main site is coded.

Edited by Syreldar

Ignorant people have an obligation to make up for their ignorance by paying those who help them.

Syreldar

25 minutes ago, Syreldar said:

Disabling systems is as simple as commenting a define, implementing systems might be tougher on Owsaps files because much of the code is changed, so when following a guide to install a system that tells you for example to "add this below this code", you might be lost since these guides usually use fresh clients to write their examples, for a similar reason these could be compatibility issues since Owsaps client has many reversed functions and some are also rewritten, like tooltip width management for items. In the end it comes down to your knowledge and ability to adapt.

I do not understand the question that follows though, why would there be backdoors? And being exposed to sql injection has little to do with the files and more to do with how properly the main site is coded.

Thank you for your answer! It is very useful for me!

Yes, perhaps my formulation was not the best.

I was interested to find out if there is any difference in security between the two projects. Of course both developers promise qualitative security, but I would like to know how it is from a customer's point of view.

About SQL injection, I know how I can protect the website that is linked to the database, but I remember a certain bug (a long time ago), where someone could do sql inject directly from the client. But again, I've heard about this bug years ago. 😁

• Premium
32 minutes ago, duwen123 said:

Thank you for your answer! It is very useful for me!

Yes, perhaps my formulation was not the best.

I was interested to find out if there is any difference in security between the two projects. Of course both developers promise qualitative security, but I would like to know how it is from a customer's point of view.

About SQL injection, I know how I can protect the website that is linked to the database, but I remember a certain bug (a long time ago), where someone could do sql inject directly from the client. But again, I've heard about this bug years ago. 😁

Overall, when we talk about security we mean system security, which has still little to do with the actual files.

You might contact Shogun to get a service on system configuration and protections. To my knowledge he's the most qualified in that field in here.

Can't say I remember this "client sqli" you talk about. But it's safe to say they both fixed it.

Edited by Syreldar

Syreldar

• Premium
31 minutes ago, WeedHex said:

Martysama files also come with a remote installation of SRC + Test server & there aren't license check shutting your live server.

Owsap's licence checks won't crash your server, dunno where u got that from.

Syreldar

16 hours ago, WeedHex said:

Martysama files also come with a remote installation of SRC + Test server & there aren't license check shutting your live server.

Hi, @ WeedHex!

I assume you are one of Martysama's clients. Can you please give me some information about your collaboration with him?

For example, if the documentation offered by him when you purchase the product is well done and prepared even for beginners in the area of Metin servers (not necessarily in programming).

And pretty much your experience with his product.

Edited by duwen123
Added one more question

tbh i bought from MartySama and i usually get problems that isn't happeneing cause of his source maybe some problems that i did myself while working on the files or such

and i usually go to him and ask him about it , he never say no he always answers even if its next day

his discord ain't as active but his pm is active i'm pretty sure 

when u buy he will set u up in his site and give you all sources you need + special passwords for you and such stuff and he gives a free installation (or one of his helpers will do it) and you can record it if u wanna do it yourself at any other time

systems side i guess Marty has all ymir work ready to use in his client you just need to the add system on server side and client side and get going no need to add icons or maps 

that's pretty much it 

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Kash13 said:

tbh i bought from MartySama and i usually get problems that isn't happeneing cause of his source maybe some problems that i did myself while working on the files or such

and i usually go to him and ask him about it , he never say no he always answers even if its next day

his discord ain't as active but his pm is active i'm pretty sure 

when u buy he will set u up in his site and give you all sources you need + special passwords for you and such stuff and he gives a free installation (or one of his helpers will do it) and you can record it if u wanna do it yourself at any other time

systems side i guess Marty has all ymir work ready to use in his client you just need to the add system on server side and client side and get going no need to add icons or maps 

that's pretty much it 

Thank you for the information! They are extremely helpful in making a good decision!

I'm tilting more and more towards Martysama's product, although he is not as active as Owsap.

Primarily because of the price difference, quite large I might say, compared to Owsap's product. Personally, I prefer to pay less for the source files, but also to invest money in systems like a quality Offline Shop (paid of course), the marketing part is again very important.. and so on.

Anyway, I want to dive into the project after finishing my bachelor degree, because I'm on the last hundred meters with it, so I have time to think about making the best decision in choosing one of the two products, in terms of price-quality ratio.

If you like, I'd be happy to keep in touch on Discord in case there are any more questions coming from me.

Other opinions or suggestions are still welcome in this topic.

Edited by VegaS™
You must avoid giving your / our social media contact information (Skype, Discord...) in public topics / posts or signatures, only via private message.

• Bot

I have worked on servers that use both files...

The focus of marty is to have a clean base and correct the errors by the crazy Chinese without adding systems.

The focus of owsap is to keep the server as similar as possible to the official one including systems.

If you want to learn to program I advise marty, if you intend to open a server I advise owsap.

Of course you can use marty to start a server but you don't understand much and it will cost you more to pay developers.

Edited by Papix
  • Good 1
  • Love 1

english_banner.gif

13 hours ago, Papix said:

The focus of marty is to have a clean base and correct the errors by the crazy Chinese without adding systems.

The focus of owsap is to keep the server as similar as possible to the official one including systems.

If you want to learn to program I advise marty, if you intend to open a server I advise owsap.

Of course you can use marty to start a server but you don't understand much and it will cost you more to pay developers.

Thanks for the answer!

Martysama offers documentation on how to use his resources as far as I know. Did you manage to see this documentation somehow? And if so, how do you find it?

I ask because I master C++ and Python, and understand programming at an advanced level, but on Metin files I'm not very experienced (I'm referring to the code architecture and how it was designed).

For example, if I read a piece of code I can recognize what's going on there, but I don't know exactly how Metin is organized in the backend.

2 hours ago, Macaroni Cheese said:

I bought Marty SRC a few years ago after reading that the V10 version was coming out in a few days around April 2018. It is 2023 and i am on V4...

SOOOO if you have free time buy Marty and wait for V10, if you don't have much time buy OWSAP.

Thanks for the answer, @ Macaroni Cheese!

I see that v5.6 (v5-ex-r467) is now the latest one that is available and can be purchased. Is there a reason why are still using V4? 

1 hour ago, duwen123 said:

I see that v5.6 (v5-ex-r467) is now the latest one that is available and can be purchased. Is there a reason why are still using V4? 

V5 is a paid upgrade for the V4.
I currently don't have any Metin2 projects so i never payed for the upgrade.

• Developer
On 3/13/2023 at 9:50 PM, Papix said:

• If you don't understand much about it and want to create a server, your server will be an abortion.
  • You don't learn to work on files by systems installing, cuz the first tasks should not be "Okay, I'll copy and paste until it works."
  • @ martysama0134 is not aiming not to insert systems, but to create/refactor what he inserts.
  • Exactly by "assistance," what is meant by extended mainline with few systems (tested for years)?

This post looks to me like a cleverly designed marketing strategy. Each answer is nothing more than a personal point of view, passed off as objective.

Best regards

Edited by Mitachi
  • Love 1

503953077003354113.png

I use the source of Marty, and I have always been his customer.
Although some errors caused by the system, this does not affect use.
The source of Marty is more stable and well -equipped. There are no more fancy systems. I have never seen the source that makes me more assured than Marty. The sources of many large servers are based on the source of Marty.
As for others say that Marty's update is charged, I oppose it.
I bought his source from 2014 to 2015. So far, there is no additional cost.
Many people leaked his source, and I think this is a punishment for these leaks.

I did not use Owsap's source in detail, so I couldn't evaluate it in detail.

• Love 1

• Premium
17 hours ago, duwen123 said:

that's strange. marty gave v5.4 to all his old customers on xmas 2022 for free. (trust level >= normal)

• Good 1
  • Love 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Mitachi said:
  • If you don't understand much about it and want to create a server, your server will be an abortion.
  • You don't learn to work on files by systems installing, cuz the first tasks should not be "Okay, I'll copy and paste until it works."
  • @ martysama0134 is not aiming not to insert systems, but to create/refactor what he inserts.
  • Exactly by "assistance," what is meant by extended mainline with few systems (tested for years)?

This post looks to me like a cleverly designed marketing strategy. Each answer is nothing more than a personal point of view, passed off as objective.

Best regards

Thanks for the answer! I will take it into consideration when I make the purchase.

As for the marketing part, I assure you and everyone else who is more overly curious about the reason for posting that the purpose of this post is strictly to make my personal opinion as solid as possible as to which of the two great developers to go with.

I point out that I don't know either of them personally and have never bought anything from either of them.

Yes, I somewhat understand your skepticism, as some of those who have responded seem to be overvaluing the ones they bought from, as if they only favor them to increase their audience as if they have something to gain from it. It's up to them whether they want to put those who bought in a good light, or not.

I'm strictly interested in the opinions about the quality and reliability of the two developers' services.

Anyway, I am able to take from the opinions of those who state here strictly what interests me in order to build a clearer view of the services and quality of services of the two developers. Because I aim for a serious and qualitative project.

All the best!

• Premium

Short Long Story back in 2020 I wanted to learn how every pice of src code works and the internet was full of unreadable 'things'.

If you want to learn and understand how the source works:
So I decided to buy AdvancedSources from @ martysama0134 the most clean source code that i find which comes with documentation on the blog for everything you need, and yes I did learn every thing that i needed.

If you want to understand how the systems works:
I'm not an OSF 6 Ultimate customer but i did use @ Owsap multiple systems and I never had problems understanding the code or implementing the systems on AdvancedSources.

🎩

Edited by DemOnJR
  • Love 2

plague.png.1f5de75b42146262dcd655a5a8078

4 hours ago, DemOnJR said:

Short Long Story back in 2020 I wanted to learn how every pice of src code works and the internet was full of unreadable 'things'.

If you want to learn and understand how the source works:
So I decided to buy AdvancedSources from @ martysama0134 the most clean source code that i find which comes with documentation on the blog for everything you need, and yes I did learn every thing that i needed.

If you want to understand how the systems works:
I'm not an OSF 6 Ultimate customer but i did use @ Owsap multiple systems and I never had problems understanding the code or implementing the systems on AdvancedSources.

🎩

Great! Thank you so much for this information! 😀

I'm really starting to have a better vision about the developer I'm going to choose.

I am thinking more about Martysama because I want something clean for now and the fact that you mentioned about his documentation makes this a better option. 

Although, I have a question. Can you please give some examples of things you needed to learn and actually learned from his documentation? 

• Premium

Sure you have documentation for everything, from what dedicated server to pick, what apps do you need, how to install the server, configure, start, debugging... it's definitely not going to teach you how to c++, you have to know that already :)), and you need to work on your svfile from quests, drops, shops, everything that is about gameplay.

You can go on his git and see the tutorials 

This is the hidden content, please
 like how-to-mt2, how-to-general and much more.
Also you can follow his progress idk if i'm allowed to share this https://trello.com/b/0L2sMJke/as-roadmap

Be sure that you will need also @ Mali, Owsap, @ Sonitex for systems, then if you need to secure your server you will need @ Shogun you will never find everything 'in one place'.

Edited by DemOnJR
  • Metin2 Dev 11
  • Good 8
  • Love 10

plague.png.1f5de75b42146262dcd655a5a8078