Getting started w\ Metin2

Hello Community,

i have a few questions were i couldn't find any answers out there :(

To introduce myself a little bit,that i have a chance to understand your answers, I'm experienced with C(#,++), Java (maybe helps ^^), Linux (Debian 6 to be precise), Photoshop, Blender and I'm working with Unity3D (on the job) - but I have no experience with Metin2 and most of the stuff seems highly confusing. So I'm asking the pros here if you jump start me :)

My concerns about Metin2 are as followed:

- Were is the point with client packing whilst having the ability to use enigma with file visualization?

- I understood that the network handshake between client and server is using kind of 128bit encryption asynchronous for both ways and they can be changed to prevent bots from hooking to the netstream between client and server - right?

-- There is something called LZO-Key (what is in fact not an encryption rather than a compression Lempel-Ziv-Overhumer) can someone explain this?

-- There is something called item_proto & mob_proto what are those things exactly?

- What tool is used to create the maps

-- What file extensions (formats) is this tool supporting for 3D Models (.fbx, .obj, etc?)

-- What file extensions (formats) is this tool supporting for Textures

-- Is there a possibility to use bump-diffuse w normal maps to reduce polygons?

-- Why are the graphics on all p-server i tested so crappy? Is the engine having any restrictions like max texture resolution or are there other reasons?

I highly appreciate any answers regarding my (maybe) newbie questions and wish you and your family a merry Christmas (if you are celebrating it, if not .. I guess you will have other holiday's including presents :) )

-- What file extensions (formats) is this tool supporting for 3D Models (.fbx, .obj, etc?)

Metin2 using .gr2 extension for itself models. You can find pluging export obj to gr2.

-- What file extensions (formats) is this tool supporting for Textures

- Now it's dds and tga

- What tool is used to create the maps 

YMIR Entartaiment did a world editor for create map or edit. You can find it in kraizy.tar.gz

-- Why are the graphics on all p-server i tested so crappy?

You can't wait big things from metin2. Because metin2 is running since 2004. Another game is developped via another engine. I mean unreal engine, cry enginer, hero engine etc. Metin2 engine is granny. Many game is using granny for themself game. Magic to Master is using hero engine for themself game if you are wondering new graphics for metin2.

Metin2 can develop by someone but this process take much time. But why not a new metin2? GameForge bought metin3.com (Webzen can make new metin via new engine. We never know this at the moment :) )

PS : Why metin2 graphic is so crappy ? 

YMIR Entartaiment planning to be popular game in the world. So you can play metin2 via 512mb computer. Metin2 resolution is starting 1024x768. (Actual)

Kind Regards

Zerelth ~ Ellie

Edited by Zerelth™
  • Love 1

Do not be sorry, be better.

Don't know if I'm right, Im not much of a developer..but

First of all you have 2 types of "protos" One is client-sided and one server-sided.

Item_proto - Describes each item you have on your server (name,what can it be used for, what it cant be used for,who can use it,when,why etc...) - Server sided

Item_proto in client shows the name of the item and everything else that is printed to your screen (for some items it may be time,model(armors)

Mob proto also runs on both sides.

Server sided is used to set gold drop,exp,what kind of mob is it, its rank, level, etc.

Client sided one is used again to set what is printed onto the screen (name,lvl,rank, and you can even manipulate mob color)

So basically server sides describes how each item/mob is going to work and client sides are to describe how a certain mob will look.

well sense you have the src you might as well compilie it on Debian 6 the binary must be complied on windows sense most of the world pc users use windows as there main desktop system , well you must know who the game work (at least try some speed server , you must play the game after all) the you can have a background on what is metin2 to begin with .

First of all i have to thank you for your answers <3

:o  thanks for making me feel dumb  :o

This is not mean 'dumb'. You are not know anything about metin2 and i wanted to show one way. That's all

Kind Regards
Zerelth ~ Ellie

I aint thought it was mean it just showed me how complex everything is and how small my knowledge about mt2 is :)

Can someone explain the security related questions?

Additionally i came up with another question, about using a reverse tcp/udp proxy. Is this working with metin2 server files "as-they-are" or does this need any additional configuration to prevent the server exposing its ip to the clients while handshakes and so on?

I don't think there's any way to hide the real IP of the server unless you tunnel it through another server but then the players would have the tunnel's IP.

I don't think there's anything in metin2 files that has to be set.. but if anything it may be something like this:

BIND_IP: 1.1.1.1

in your CONFIG files

Yes that is what I'm doing. There is a vps bought via a ovh reseller, who is not asking for any private details. This server handles all client querys and is forwarding them to the "game-server". So the server itself does not contain its ip within the payload of a tcp/udp package to enable the client to set up direct socks connections to the server or something around this?