Experimental Renderer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Implemented multithreaded shadow map generation. The entire render process was single-threaded, now shadow map generation uses D3D11 multithreading (command lists). To test it, I used the same scenario I have been using, but now there are 4 lights generating shadows (white directional light, red point light, green spotlight and a blue spotlight). This setup uses all available shadow mapping capacity (4 shadow maps for directional/sun light and 8 shadow maps for point/spot lights).

The single-threaded method renders the scene in 13ms, while the multithreaded method renders in 8ms. That is a substantial improvement.

The drawback of D3D11 multithreading is that only nvidia supports it (as far as I know), so other hardware may not benefit as much.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Metin2 Dev 6
  • muscle 2
  • Love 2

On 5/24/2024 at 6:37 PM, TheEqualizer said:

Implemented multithreaded shadow map generation. The entire render process was single-threaded, now shadow map generation uses D3D11 multithreading (command lists). To test it, I used the same scenario I have been using, but now there are 4 lights generating shadows (white directional light, red point light, green spotlight and a blue spotlight). This setup uses all available shadow mapping capacity (4 shadow maps for directional/sun light and 8 shadow maps for point/spot lights).

The single-threaded method renders the scene in 13ms, while the multithreaded method renders in 8ms. That is a substantial improvement.

The drawback of D3D11 multithreading is that only nvidia supports it (as far as I know), so other hardware may not benefit as much.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Wow that is some cool Stuff