Attribute sum value cap

Go to solution Solved by Amun,

Hi guys!
I have a question regarding a way to put a cap on a summed value of a certain attribute / bonus. For example - I'd like to put a cap on defence against race bonuses. I want to set defence against warriors / ninja / sura / shaman to max of a 80%. Is there a way to do that? I've set value for these attributes in 6/7 to 10% - so having it in all items + shield would give 100% defence against a race and I want to avoid that and create some more items encouraging more versitality in an eq set. I hope I've explained my problem well. I'll be glad for any help.

On 2/17/2024 at 10:28 PM, tonyp2812 said:

Hi guys!
I have a question regarding a way to put a cap on a summed value of a certain attribute / bonus. For example - I'd like to put a cap on defence against race bonuses. I want to set defence against warriors / ninja / sura / shaman to max of a 80%. Is there a way to do that? I've set value for these attributes in 6/7 to 10% - so having it in all items + shield would give 100% defence against a race and I want to avoid that and create some more items encouraging more versitality in an eq set. I hope I've explained my problem well. I'll be glad for any help.

There is no maximum value on bonuses, but you can change it yourself by choosing that perhaps the following bonus does not appear in two items...

• Not Good 1

15 minutes ago, Psycho said:

There is no maximum value on bonuses, but you can change it yourself by choosing that perhaps the following bonus does not appear in two items...

Thank you for the answer!

I can’t totally agree with what you’re saying tho. There’s this quite big Polish server - Pandora mt2 on which I’ve been playing for some time, where this kind of solution is implemented. You theoretically can have up to 140% (or sth in this ballpark) of resistance against a certain class, yet it doesn’t cause others to deal 0 dmg on You. Admins confirm that these bonuses are capped at 90% and it has to be true. I’ve made class eq for myself with over 100% resistances and got clapped quite a few times. So there has to be a way. 

For my purposes tho I’ve decided to go the easier route as my work and everyday life doesn’t allow me to go through code in search of a solution. Maybe one day I’ll decide to dedicate more time to this. For now I’m just limiting amounts by planning bonuses available from 6/7, belts, quests etc.

All things considered- I’m simply curious how the game behaviour I’ve described can be achieved. As I’ve said- maybe one day. 

• Contributor
  • Solution

You can do it in battle.cpp. If you give it a search you'll find:

if (pkAttacker->IsPC())
	{
		switch (pkAttacker->GetJob())
		{
		case JOB_WARRIOR:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_WARRIOR)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_ASSASSIN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_ASSASSIN)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_SURA:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SURA)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_SHAMAN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SHAMAN)) / 100;
			break;
		}
	}

And you can either do a hard cap, like

if (pkAttacker->IsPC())
	{
		int32_t pvpRaceResistCap = 80;
		{
		case JOB_WARRIOR:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * min(pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_WARRIOR), pvpRaceResistCap)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_ASSASSIN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * min(pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_ASSASSIN), pvpRaceResistCap)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_SURA:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * min(pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SURA), pvpRaceResistCap)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_SHAMAN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * min(pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SHAMAN), pvpRaceResistCap)) / 100;
			break;
		}
	}

Or something like they've done for the elements and pvm races, where the resistance scales at a different rate than it shows there. Basically, 100% resist bonus gives 80% real resistance, but it can go beyond 80%, in which case 110% resist will give you 88% real.

if (pkAttacker->IsPC())
	{
		int32_t pvpRaceResistPer100Pct = 80;
		{
		case JOB_WARRIOR:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pvpRaceResistPer100Pct * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_WARRIOR)) / 10000;
			break;

case JOB_ASSASSIN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pvpRaceResistPer100Pct * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_ASSASSIN)) / 10000;
			break;

case JOB_SURA:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pvpRaceResistPer100Pct * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SURA)) / 10000;
			break;

case JOB_SHAMAN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pvpRaceResistPer100Pct * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SHAMAN)) / 10000;
			break;
		}
	}

You can also combine the 2 of them, idk. Or maybe don't fucking give 10% bonus?? Give them something like 5-8% and call it a day

6 hours ago, Amun said:

You can do it in battle.cpp. If you give it a search you'll find:

if (pkAttacker->IsPC())
	{
		{
		case JOB_WARRIOR:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_WARRIOR)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_ASSASSIN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_ASSASSIN)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_SURA:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SURA)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_SHAMAN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SHAMAN)) / 100;
			break;
		}
	}

And you can either do a hard cap, like

if (pkAttacker->IsPC())
	{
		int32_t pvpRaceResistCap = 80;
		{
		case JOB_WARRIOR:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * min(pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_WARRIOR), pvpRaceResistCap)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_ASSASSIN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * min(pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_ASSASSIN), pvpRaceResistCap)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_SURA:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * min(pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SURA), pvpRaceResistCap)) / 100;
			break;

case JOB_SHAMAN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * min(pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SHAMAN), pvpRaceResistCap)) / 100;
			break;
		}
	}

Or something like they've done for the elements and pvm races, where the resistance scales at a different rate than it shows there. Basically, 100% resist bonus gives 80% real resistance, but it can go beyond 80%, in which case 110% resist will give you 88% real.

if (pkAttacker->IsPC())
	{
		int32_t pvpRaceResistPer100Pct = 80;
		{
		case JOB_WARRIOR:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pvpRaceResistPer100Pct * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_WARRIOR)) / 10000;
			break;

case JOB_ASSASSIN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pvpRaceResistPer100Pct * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_ASSASSIN)) / 10000;
			break;

case JOB_SURA:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pvpRaceResistPer100Pct * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SURA)) / 10000;
			break;

case JOB_SHAMAN:
			iAtk -= (iAtk * pvpRaceResistPer100Pct * pkVictim->GetPoint(POINT_RESIST_SHAMAN)) / 10000;
			break;
		}
	}

You can also combine the 2 of them, idk. Or maybe don't fucking give 10% bonus?? Give them something like 5-8% and call it a day

Oh my! Thank You so much for this!

I've gone with the 5% bonus option (so overall players can't reach 100% in eq) but it's nice to have other possibilities.

• Good 1