Source refactoring and porting to linux

MichaelM

Hello, dear metin2dev user!

What if?

You could compile and deploy metin2 servers in minutes, on your favourite unix OS without hassling with tons and tons of compilation errors and annoying warnings?

You could run your own server on the latest unix versions without fearing that your server will crash after 30 minutes of uptime?

You could have a better administration experience with a server that doesn't generate tons of useless or unreadable logs?

You could have a better server performance and uptime?

I believe we all know the answer(s) to these questions. 

And, to answer more questions:

- This thread its not some kind of marketing strategy, this is a call for more developers to join the project.

- Everything will be opensource.

- Yes, it is possible to achieve these features.

Objectives:

Spoiler

- CMake based compilation.
- Code cleanup.
- C++ 11 compatibility.
- Removing the obsolete/unused parts of the current source.
- Refactoring the most important mechanisms (Character handling, packet handling, guild handling, status handling, etc).
- Porting the source to Linux.

I really believe that there are others that would love to see this thread becoming reality.

If you're interesed and you need additional informations, send me a private message!

Kind regards,

- Michael

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Malakiano said:

Don't forget it's legacy code base and refactoring this would be very hard. Lots of new bugs would be introduced, some of them unnoticeable at first.

Although, noble endeavor, indeed. I'd be glad to see this project afterall, and perhaps I could help somehow?

Indeed, its a hard task, but still possible with the contribution of other programmers! 

7 hours ago, ds_aim said:

It's useless to do this. FreeBSD is already good.

If you want, improve, do it.  Port source to libevent http://libevent.org/ or libuv.

I was thinking about boost asio, it looks like a good and stable option that is also capable to run on multiple platforms. I'll also take a look on libevent!

If someone is interested, contact me.

Kind regards, 

Michael!