Is still possible to install FreeBSD on OVH?

Hey guys,

I just bought OVH VPS server and I'm struggling with FreeBSD installation all night and I wasn't successful. I wanna ask, if it's still possible, because I tried almost all methods found on the whole internet and nothing worked.

Thanks for answers!

Sincerely,

ReFresh

I'll be always helpful! 👊 

• Management

No idea if this is possible but it might give some ideas.

I use a dedicated server running Debian with the Proxmox virtualization manager.
You can create VMs like VMWare or VirtualBox and also LCX containers (a bit like docker, or almost) and for this, you need OVH Failover IPs in order to have a specific IP for each LCX / VM.

However, you need to know how to configure and route IPs, it's a bit technical.

.png
Metin2 Dev - Server

• Good 1

12 hours ago, AZICKO said:

No idea if this is possible but it might give some ideas.

I use a dedicated server running Debian with the Proxmox virtualization manager.
You can create VMs like VMWare or VirtualBox and also LCX containers (a bit like docker, or almost) and for this, you need OVH Failover IPs in order to have a specific IP for each LCX / VM.

However, you need to know how to configure and route IPs, it's a bit technical.

.png
Metin2 Dev - Server

Yes, it is still possible.

I've a few dedicated machines with Proxmox 8 to host several VM's / LXC's with the default ip or different ipv4 / ipv6 ips (failover).

It is really flexible and allows you to host, for example, a WebhostVM, several GameServerVM's, etc using only one dedicated machine.

In case someone is  interested in this kind of configuration, you can add me on discord 😉

• 3 months later...
On 12/30/2023 at 7:18 PM, Matteo said:

You can install it through IPMI/KVM. Drop me a message if you need help.

Hi, I wanted to send you a message regarding this but I cannot. It says I am only allowed to send 0 messages today. 😂

Could you please explain how to install FreeBSD on OVH? I followed some guide on GitHub but I cannot make it work...

• Active+ Member

You can install it in rescue mode like this: (this is a workaround and is not the best way)

1. Buy the vps
2. Restart in rescue mode
3. get the data from email and login using winscp
4. run command: wipefs -a /dev/sdb
5. run command: wget https://download.freebsd.org/releases/VM-IMAGES/12.4-RELEASE/i386/Latest/FreeBSD-12.4-RELEASE-i386.raw.xz
6. run command: xz -dc FreeBSD-12.4-RELEASE-i386.raw.xz | dd of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
7. run command: reboot vps

Please note this is an already configured freebsd image and it might not be the way you will configure it. If you want to do a clean install (didn't try this yet) I guess you can just mount the install image from here https://download.freebsd.org/releases/ISO-IMAGES/12.4/