There is already a lot of space debris around the Earth - soon there will be no room in orbit!

TommyJ

There is already a lot of space debris around the Earth - soon there will be no room in orbit!  

2 members have voted

1. 1. We all love innovation. We are monitoring the deployment of Starlink. We monitor the weather on the phone screen. We use satellite navigation and so on. All of this requires a lot of equipment in orbit. In this connection, scientists began to develop various methods of cleaning up space debris. From steam engines on satellites to space tugs. What is the most effective way to remove space debris from orbit?

• space tug
    • steam-powered satellites
    • Foam Debris Catcher
    • nothing needs to be done to clear the orbit

We all love innovation. We are monitoring the deployment of Starlink. We monitor the weather on the phone screen. We use satellite navigation and so on. All of this requires a lot of equipment in orbit. In this connection, scientists began to develop various methods of cleaning up space debris. From steam engines on satellites to space tugs. What is the most effective way to remove space debris from orbit?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Management

I would say that in the state that it is already there's an efficient way of cleaning it without harming functional devices. The garbage is floating in space, unless they can make them enter the atmosphere to trigger vaporization on enter, there's no other solution, at least with the technology available today.

Starlink is in low orbit (around 550km), there's almost no space garbage there, but when they start dying, which will happen, Elon will probably let them crash in the ocean than let them there. They intend on having almost 3000 thousand satellites up there.

raw

raw

17 minutes ago, Karbust said:

I would say that in the state that it is already there's an efficient way of cleaning it without harming functional devices. The garbage is floating in space, unless they can make them enter the atmosphere to trigger vaporization on enter, there's no other solution, at least with the technology available today.

Starlink is in low orbit (around 550km), there's almost no space garbage there, but when they start dying, which will happen, Elon will probably let them crash in the ocean than let them there. They intend on having almost 3000 thousand satellites up there.

As far as I understand, the problem with space debris is higher. What can be burned in the atmosphere will continue to burn. Scientists estimate that there are now at least 50 objects weighing more than 2 tons. And also a lot of debris that can damage the ISS or active satellites. (about 50000 fragments)
The new satellites, of course, have their own deorbiting programs. In most cases.
The problem is that the old fragments do not damage the new equipment.

I found one pretty clear program from the new space company. Here is how they see it: https://www.skyrora.com/post/skyrora-s-space-tug-gives-space-sustainability-dream-a-lift And here the device itself is described: https://www.skyrora.com/space-tug A clear deadline, regularly and successfully conducted tests indicate serious intentions. So far, I have not seen any more programs with such clear goals.

• 2 months later...

The problem of space debris stands out sharply, and I agree with you that it should be solved as soon as possible, but it's so hard to vote in your poll for me because I suppose that each method of deorbiting space debris has the right to exist, has advantages and disadvantages and so on. I see no one mentioned a laser system. I saw several concepts that presuppose the use of lasers based either on Earth or in space, and these lasers will destroy large pieces of space junk. 
Space tug is something completely new for me, so I need time to explore this concept.