For maintenance and updates, the community will be offline on 31 December 2022 ×

Are english only servers still relevant?

granpa123

hello all

well i have a question are English only servers still relevant

as i did a big update to my old server and made it to the latest specs and added many old and new maps plus added many pets (over 50 i think)as well as mounts weapons and many of the other items plus stuff i obtained maps and stuff from Plechito

As like the one i did back in 2012 (2089 version) i have made it totally free as there is no Item Mall to buy them instead i have a Item Mall Map where you can buy certain thing with the money you make in the game or from drops or from Shops i have put in certain maps which are all level based

I also have made my own maps (simple but effective) and able to change maps as well as work on the server and client myself too 

as from what i see is that occasionally when i get a connection they may stay for up to 4 minutes  then  leave as what can you do in that small amount of time amazes me

So i have come to the conclusion that Gamers now want everything handed to them or buy them instead of working for them and dont like mine because they have to work for everything

I so i will keep it running in the are place i use it as i enjoy the challenge of making it and adding new things when aquired .... as well the web page i use is old but it works as that i one thing i always had a problem with

if you think i an complaining i assure you i am not as i am just stating a fact as the way i see it

Granpa123 who will be 58 soon!!!!!!!

• Premium
2 hours ago, granpa123 said:

as i did a big update to my old server and made it to the latest specs and added many old and new maps plus added many pets (over 50 i think)as well as mounts weapons and many of the other items plus stuff i obtained maps and stuff from Plechito

Just by adding maps and items randomly won't make your server successful. You have to have a concept. And if your concept is far away from the audience then you can't do much about it. It's hard to be successful when you have so many servers nowadays. Everyone can add plechito stuffs and maps. It's not 2010 anymore, you have to catch the players with something else. Not sure about your marketing strategy, but that could be one of the reason why you won't succeed in numbers. Just by adding "stuffs" to your server won't make it better. It's usually worst if you don't pay attention. 

As like the one i did back in 2012 (2089 version) i have made it totally free as there is no Item Mall to buy them instead i have a Item Mall Map where you can buy certain thing with the money you make in the game or from drops or from Shops i have put in certain maps which are all level based

You have to see that the majority of the casual players are actual workers. They have jobs and often family. If you take out the itemshop completely they won't be able to play. They can't sacrifice that much time as a regular player. So they pay with money instead of time. And it's your job as an owner to balance the itemshop to be fair with non spenders and casual players who actually spend money. 

So i have come to the conclusion that Gamers now want everything handed to them or buy them instead of working for them and dont like mine because they have to work for everything

I so i will keep it running in the are place i use it as i enjoy the challenge of making it and adding new things when aquired .... as well the web page i use is old but it works as that i one thing i always had a problem with

It's partially true. The actual "work for it" part still works. But the ways changed during the years. Players won't explore the world anymore and spend days killing random stuff to find out which mobs drops what. You can give them start items but it depends on the server you have. And they can still feel that they earned their items if you challenge them on the right part of the game. It's usually the late game tho. Regarding the web, I would suggest you to hire someone to create a good design for you. For Web and for patcher as well. Add some quality of life features to your game. Make it easier to understand what's going on on your server. Do proper announcements. Think about your marketing carefully. Hire competent team members. And have a plan. That's the most important. Plan your server carefully and listen to the feedbacks. 

• Good 2

thanks for the reply are it good to get something that helps me understand what is going on with the way it all works as being out of the process for 8 years is a disadvantage

being a retired aussie person i have plenty of time to do all of this stuff

me myself being 58 and a gamer for over 35 years (vic 20 + c64 days etc) and that because of this being a server that i run for free the main problem i have is that no one ever gives me feed back of offers help so i have to work it out myself and sometimes its not quite right so i jut keep plugging along

i would like to get help with say webpage as was never good at that

just for reference what i have done is take from the old 2089 server mod it and add it to the 40 k server and then mod the source files to what i need to make the work then i add items,mobs and whatever i find to server as have got some latest range of weps from Plechito yesterday as well as his latest maps which i  will add tonight and write my own quests as his are different that what i run

so i must say its there if people what to have a look but if not i will just keep upgrading it just to keep busy and entertained plus i enjoy do it

thank you again for reply as taken suggestions and comments in

Granpa123 .......... Zycloniusmt2