For maintenance and updates, the community will be offline on 31 December 2022 ×
!-->

Strange OS problem

Crystal™

Question

• Premium

Capture.png

I have a test server on a vps and always once my core goes offline.There are no any game.core generated.I think i get bruteforced ,does anyone know what goes on here?Why does the swap memory is use and goes full?

227734393-230537345615789-90296484119094

Edited by Metin2 Dev
Core X - External 2 Internal

7 answers to this question

• Premium

Change your default SSH port, disable SSH PASSWORD login and enable SSH KEY login... And don't forget to enable whitelist for your IP and disable others ip from accessing SSH port

• Good 1

• Premium
2 minutes ago, I3ooI3oo said:

Change your default SSH port, disable SSH PASSWORD login and enable SSH KEY login... And don't forget to enable whitelist for your IP and disable others ip from accessing SSH port

Are the proofs i have enough about be sure that i get bruteforce? Do you have any ideas why swap memory is used?Also by changing my default SSH port I think wouldn't be useful because the ip could be scanned and the opened ports be found.

Thanks

• Premium

Im not sure, but you need to secure your server more. These are the basic security settings. Yes your server can be scanned for open ports, thats why you need ip whitelist for SSH, it will help you a lot (be sure you have static ip, not a dynamic one).

• Good 1

• Premium
20 hours ago, I3ooI3oo said:

Im not sure, but you need to secure your server more. These are the basic security settings. Yes your server can be scanned for open ports, thats why you need ip whitelist for SSH, it will help you a lot (be sure you have static ip, not a dynamic one).

The difference between dynamic vs static is that the ip does not change?I think all host have static.Or you mean mine IP?

8 hours ago, .colossus. said:

maybe you just don´t have enough ram for your game cores

2gb ram are enough I think,i check how much ram is used and i see that the ram percentage is goes abruptly up and swap memory is used.

P.S. the scary about this event is that my  metin server is not  even public,it's just a vps test server and there are bots that have many ips saved and are scanning for opened ports and try get access lol...

Edited by Crystal™

• Premium
2 hours ago, Crystal™ said:

The difference between dynamic vs static is that the ip does not change?I think all host have static.Or you mean mine IP?

2gb ram are enough I think,i check how much ram is used and i see that the ram percentage is goes abruptly up and swap memory is used.

P.S. the scary about this event is that my  metin server is not  even public,it's just a vps test server and there are bots that have many ips saved and are scanning for opened ports and try get access lol...

Yes it does. They use to do it with OVH IPs prefix, to find some opened server to use like a botnet (zombie).

I suggest to close the PermitRootLogin, change all ports again, set a good firewall on your new ports and use obv a RSA key to access only u.

• Premium

Yes, i was talking about your IP.

Bots are normal. They are scanning everyday. My firewall is blocking 200-600 attacks per day.
I created a custom rules few days ago for my server, because all of 200-600 attacks are trying to bruteforce my wordpress websites.
Now i get only 2-10 per day and the rest are blocked.

• Love 1