Metin2 Patcher with Electron

• Management
7 hours ago, FNCX said:

what's the point of running a browser that consumes memory a lot compared to other drawing guis for patcher lmao

I made it in electron for 2 reasons, I wanted to learn how to use for a long time, and because I could use React to do it, like a website.

I agree electron uses a lot of memory and the bundle size is big, because it bundles the entire chromium browser.

I have seen an alternative that uses the system browser API instead of bundling an entire browser, however, it is made in Rust, it is Tauri, I'm not interested in learning it.

WRY is a cross-platform WebView rendering library in Rust that supports all major desktop platforms like Windows, macOS, and Linux. Tauri uses WRY as the abstract layer responsible to determine which webview is used (and how interactions are made).

You are more than welcome to explore it, if you already know Rust then it should be pretty straightforward.

5 hours ago, b6d4a82c15 said:

Nowadays computers are much more powerful and so electron/CEF apps have become the norm. It's also easier to develop and maintain.

Slack, MS teams, discord, whats, spotify, battle.net client, Adobe Illustrator and many others are running inside embedded browsers.

It is easy to maintain a electron application because you can have it use the same code base as the main website (if that is something the developer wants to do), just needs to add some abstraction layers to determine what API to use, if the electron, or the browser, other than that, it just works.

And by the way, Adobe software is written in C++ (Qt), as far as I know.

MS Teams used to use Electron but changed to WebView2: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/microsoft-teams-advantages-of-the-new-architecture/ba-p/3775704

But yeah, many companies use Electron for their applications because if makes deploying a product fast and easy.

• Love 1

raw

raw

18 minutes ago, Karbust said:

I made it in electron for 2 reasons, I wanted to learn how to use for a long time, and because I could use React to do it, like a website.

I agree electron uses a lot of memory and the bundle size is big, because it bundles the entire chromium browser.

I have seen an alternative that uses the system browser API instead of bundling an entire browser, however, it is made in Rust, it is Tauri, I'm not interested in learning it.

You are more than welcome to explore it, if you already know Rust then it should be pretty straightforward.

It is easy to maintain a electron application because you can have it use the same code base as the main website (if that is something the developer wants to do), just needs to add some abstraction layers to determine what API to use, if the electron, or the browser, other than that, it just works.

And by the way, Adobe software is written in C++ (Qt), as far as I know.

MS Teams used to use Electron but changed to WebView2: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams-blog/microsoft-teams-advantages-of-the-new-architecture/ba-p/3775704

But yeah, many companies use Electron for their applications because if makes deploying a product fast and easy.

Not all Adobe products are written in qt, and surely not all their components. Either way, its cost-effective and easy deployment like you said. Javascript developers are also much cheaper to employ hehe

• Management
15 minutes ago, FNCX said:

i didn't say electron is useless, i said what is the point of making metin2 patcher with electron. 

That explains

And what is the problem of having a patcher made in electron? It is still good for a metin2 patcher, my services are even based on it.

Also, is this a lot of memory?

raw

Could be lower using something like Tauri or even full C# or C++, but it is actually not that bad.

Edited by Metin2 Dev International
Core X - External 2 Internal

raw

raw

25 minutes ago, Karbust said:

And what is the problem of having a patcher made in electron? It is still good for a metin2 patcher, my services are even based on it.

raw

Could be lower using something like Tauri or even full C# or C++, but it is actually not that bad.

Unless you're gonna develop this thing to become not just a patcher, I think it's just waste of resources, and it's not just about the ram which is plenty these days, it also creates lots of junk files inside AppData and other locations, file size is much bigger. Again, just for a patcher.

Edited by FNCX
  • kekw 1
  • Smile Tear 1

• Management
5 minutes ago, FNCX said:

Sorry, but all of your statements are just excuses. You can even make a patcher via bat using curl, we're not talking about if patcher is working or not, because, as I told you before, you can code a patcher using bat files. That's not the case.

Do you really care about the memory at this point? I mean would you take a shit if it's consuming 500MB ram? 

You coded an app that streams files over internet and it's usage takes 95MB, is that fine? 

We both know that it will increase whenever you add new stuff such as Discord app.

Not even mentioning it's instance bullshit thanks to Chromium browser.

Also, your code will always be visible and people will always manage to unpack your packer, steal everything.

Default Hello World electron app takes 45-46MB file-size, how much yours take?

The thing is that I'm saying these in Metin2 forum, a forum that developers have knowledge in Python and C++, while I'm JS developer, I say electron is the worst thing you could use for this project and you say no, it's not.

Edited: Usually JS developers claim Electron is the best thing you can manage a web app etc, that's why I said this.

I'm not saying Electron is useless, I'm saying Electron is not suits for this kind of project.

I have no problem with all you are saying because those are all valid points, except about the unpack part, code wise it can be obfuscated, by that order of ideas then C# apps also have their code always visible, that is a useless point to make.

The patcher compressed with electron-builder on the normal compression mode occupies around 94MB to 98MB.

Also, when needed I can write a node C++ package, had to do it for something to access the Windows API in more than one occasion.

I use electron because I can use whatever I want to do the frontend, and electron is also extremely popular, I could be using MAUI, Avalonia, Qt, Tauri, and many others, but from all of them, only Electron and Tauri are well supported and can use web frontend technologies to develop the UI, for me that is a great and a trade I'm willing to make in memory usage. There is also Electron.NET, that uses Electron behind the scenes with a C# backend instead of Node.js but isn't very popular. And, like I already said, I'm not willing to learn Rust to use Tauri.

I'm a web developer and I'm not locked to JavaScript/TypeScript, in fact on the backend I use ASP.NET C#, with React frontends.

(Another thing, I hate Python, so not even dead I would even think of using it for anything other than the metin2 GUI.)

And, to finalize, please contribute something useful to the community, 3 out of your 6 posts are complaining about Electron, pick a tool and do a patcher for the community, or share something else.

It's because of minds like that that the metin2 scene doesn't evolve, always using the same thing for everything.

raw

raw

1 hour ago, Karbust said:

raw

The patcher compressed with electron-builder on the normal compression mode occupies around 94MB to 98MB.

If that's normal for you for a patcher that should took 2MB at first place, then OK.

Also, your code will always be visible and people will always manage to unpack your packer, steal everything.

No, if you code it with C++ and protect your binary, all they could do is dump the binary which they won't for stealing UI

Edited by FNCX

Maybe it was acceptable in 2021, but these days, there is no reason to stick with Electron when Tauri provides many more advantages in every aspect. It's extremely lightweight, faster, and more memory-friendly. In addition to React, there are many 'modern' alternatives for the frontend, such as Svelte, Yew, and Next.js. 

Announcements

Important Information

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy / Guidelines / We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.