gcc49 taking 12+ hours to install and STILL NOT FINISHED??!!??

I started the installation of gcc49 early this morning at around 6 AM and now its been more than 12 hours and its STILL installing !!??!! what the hell could i be doing wrong? and how long did it take u when u came to install it?? The machine I'm running is FreeBSD 10.2 and it has 40GB of storage and 915MB of RAM assigned to it..also i noticed that unlike most of the FreeBSD versions i worked with, this one (10.2) did not have gcc4.2 installed on it by default, looks like it got deprecated or something. So maybe that's why its taking so long? Because theres no gcc base to build on so its doing everything from scratch?

• Honorable Member

Looks like your machine is really slow like hell.

Just dont build it from ports and use pkg and done.

pkg install gcc49

The recent gcc49 package is incomplete. (it may vary)

All the FreeBSD's minor updates will always break something, so it's not always as easy as it should be ['cause you'll end up fixing FreeBSD's settings after updated].

Compiling from the ports it's somehow futile, and time-wasting. I'd do such a thing only if the pre-compiled package is not compatible.

If you've installed gcc4.9  from pkg and it's broken/incomplete (most probably it will be), try to install gcc4.8 instead:

## 1st way
# pkg search gcc48
gcc48-4.8.5
# pkg install gcc48-4.8.5
## 2nd way
# pkg install gcc48

• Love 1

So the only way I have if I still want gcc49 is through the port? This also raises another question as to how did Vanilla for instance compile her core with gcc49 then if it's broken/incomplete as u said? Through port installation, right? I want switching back to gc48 be the last resort..I'm somewhat hopeful that it may finish soon.. :/

• Honorable Member

So the only way I have if I'm a gcc49 diehard is through the turtle slow port? This also raises another question as to how did Vanilla for instance compile her core with gcc49 then if it's broken/incomplete as u said? Through port installation, right? I want switching back to gc48 be the last resort..I'm somewhat hopeful that it may finish soon.. :/

FreeBSD 10.1's gcc4.9 pre-compiled package was incomplete (initially it was ok, but after few updates it got broken).

I previously installed it from package on different FreeBSD versions successfully.

Anyway, install it, and perform a check if it's ok:

# pkg check -s <name_of_that_package>
The package should be called "gcc49-blablabla". You'll get the real name from "pkg info".
In here the explanation of "-s":
DESCRIPTION
     pkg check -B or pkg check --shlibs is used to reanalyse shared libraries
     of installed packages.
     pkg check -d or pkg check --dependencies is used to check for and install
     missing dependencies.
     pkg check -r or pkg check --recompute is used to recompute sizes and
     checksums of installed packages.
     pkg check -s or pkg check --checksums is used to find invalid checksums
     for installed packages.

Edited by martysama0134
  • Love 1

So the only way I have if I'm a gcc49 diehard is through the turtle slow port? This also raises another question as to how did Vanilla for instance compile her core with gcc49 then if it's broken/incomplete as u said? Through port installation, right? I want switching back to gc48 be the last resort..I'm somewhat hopeful that it may finish soon.. :/

FreeBSD 10.1's gcc4.9 pre-compiled package was incomplete (initially it was ok, but after few updates it got broken).

I previously installed it from package on different FreeBSD versions successfully.

Anyway, install it, and perform a check if it's ok:

# pkg check -s <name_of_that_package>
The package should be called "gcc49-blablabla". You'll get the real name from "pkg info".
In here the explanation of "-s":
DESCRIPTION
     pkg check -B or pkg check --shlibs is used to reanalyse shared libraries
     of installed packages.
     pkg check -d or pkg check --dependencies is used to check for and install
     missing dependencies.
     pkg check -r or pkg check --recompute is used to recompute sizes and
     checksums of installed packages.
     pkg check -s or pkg check --checksums is used to find invalid checksums
     for installed packages.

Never use another compiler only the native.

In our case freebsd 10 + clang.

Rlly :s after i finally installed it after 2+ days..well, vanilla core for instance has very good performance and it's compiled with gcc49 and even vanilla herself advises that we use gcc49 for compilation so i cant see where the problem is, according to ur emphasizing to NEVER use it. However im aware of the arguments surrounding this topic regarding the performance of the two and how Freebsd dropped the gcc49 in favor of clang.

HELP.. when doing gmake clean

Depend:11552: *** missing separator.  Stop.
root@localhost:/usr/src/game/src #

Rlly :s after i finally installed it after 2+ days..well, vanilla core for instance has very good performance and it's compiled with gcc49 and even vanilla herself advises that we use gcc49 for compilation so i cant see where the problem is, according to ur emphasizing to NEVER use it. However im aware of the arguments surrounding this topic regarding the performance of the two and how Freebsd dropped the gcc49 in favor of clang.

Read this and you will see.  http://clang.llvm.org/comparison.html#gcc

Vanilla yes. when she started to developing source she used gcc after changed to clang.

---------------- Xd -_-

If you really want evidence that clang is better than gcc I'll do a video. Live when upgrading MySQL. And you will see. : D

Clang regornize better codes than gcc.  With gcc code is not always stable. If you will not use dump.core clang of external causes.

Edited by ds_aim

Are u sure that she changed to clang?.. and i was led down the garden path all this time?....

Ok, well...you convinced me! But I am using FreeBSD 10.2..please don't tell me ill have to downgrade or anything!!??

And ah, Its worth noting that im even getting an error with gmake clean..do you know this guy below?

root@localhost:/usr/src/game/src # gmake clean
Depend:11552: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Are u sure that she changed to clang?.. and i was led down the garden path all this time?....

Ok, well...you convinced me! But I am using FreeBSD 10.2..please don't tell me ill have to downgrade or anything!!??

And ah, Its worth noting that im even getting an error with gmake clean..do you know this guy below?

root@localhost:/usr/src/game/src # gmake clean
Depend:11552: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Just delete Depend and use includes..

Check my answer here:  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33555997/mysql-library-cannot-be-found/33557192#33557192

And this http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33465974/linker-cant-find-libraries/33466004#33466004

Inseated of -L use -I

Edited by ds_aim

• Honorable Member

# gmake dep clean default

Vanilla yes. when she started to developing source she used gcc after changed to clang.

---------------- Xd -_-

If you really want evidence that clang is better than gcc I'll do a video. Live when upgrading MySQL. And you will see. : D

Clang regornize better codes than gcc.  With gcc code is not always stable. If you will not use dump.core clang of external causes.

Clang is indeed a nice alternative of gcc, but nothing more. Talking about benchmarks between gcc and clang, they are either balanced (one is faster than the other on few instructions, and vice versa).

I usually use both, since they are helpful in pointing out new errors.

# gmake dep clean default

---------------- Xd -_-

Clang is indeed a nice alternative of gcc, but nothing more. Talking about benchmarks between gcc and clang, they are either balanced (one is faster than the other on few instructions, and vice versa).

I usually use both, since they are helpful in pointing out new errors.

I don't use clang because is more fast. Just because regornize better code. And it's native in freebsd 10+ ? You know NATIVE. make instruction more clear..

Let's do a test.

*FreeBSD 10.2  ---upgrade mysql to 5.6.26 --- use gcc49 to compile. Try to run db or game. Game.core , debug with gdb ... woilla instruction problem.

And try with clang. Work like a charm.

And more userful things.  In clang you can migrate code to c++11 with modernizer. :) Eh ?

Let's admit.   :D BETTER CLANG.

Now i'am waiting for freebsd 11:00 clang37 nativeeee.

• Honorable Member

What is the output doing this?

# cd your/path/Srcs/Server/game/src

# gmake dep

Just an question.

Why to use Depend? It's useless. :D  

If you edit a mapped (aka inside Depend) .h, all the .cpp files that include it will also be recompiled as it should be.

If you delete it, you have to recompile the whole source code all the time you edit a .h file.

Edited by martysama0134
  • Love 1

• Honorable Member

1) I don't use clang because is more fast. Just because regornize better code. And it's native in freebsd 10+ ? You know NATIVE. make instruction more clear..

2) *FreeBSD 10.2  ---upgrade mysql to 5.6.26 --- use gcc49 to compile. Try to run db or game. Game.core , debug with gdb ... woilla instruction problem.

3) And more userful things.  In clang you can migrate code to c++11 with modernizer. :) Eh ?

1) It's so """native""" that half of the ports will throw lots of errors when you compile them with clang. (default behavior)

Native, in this case, means "installed by default", not "it makes instructions more clear blablabla".

2) For binaries compiled with gcc4.9, you should usually use "gdb-7.10_4" (the minor version could vary), otherwise you'll get the "dwarf instruction problem" error. (pretty normal)

Mysql 5.6 is one of the most criticized versions. Since you like to be alternative, you can also try MariaDB (mysql fork).

3) As I stated before, one could even use both. Use clang's modernizr and then compile it with gcc. (which is pretty edgy)

I rewrited some parts of smart_pointers to prevent memory leak.  Butt still have some leaks.

Kinda all ymir's code is made with raw new/delete operators. The only code wrapped in smart pointers is related to the queries (and not all the times).

Server-side, most all the stuff are loaded once (regens, map attrs, etc), and there's no default way to free them without closing the process. (I would call them "cached" and not "memory leaking" anyway)

Client-side, it's the same thing, except of the Outdoor loading, which clearly leaks few mb every time you warp somewhere. (on the WE, it's pretty clear)

Note: If he installs gcc on freebsd 10.x, he will have to remap few things otherwise cryptopp will be compiled with clang, and the rest of the game with gcc. (which will end up in a linking failure)

Edited by martysama0134
  • Love 2

1) I don't use clang because is more fast. Just because regornize better code. And it's native in freebsd 10+ ? You know NATIVE. make instruction more clear..

2) *FreeBSD 10.2  ---upgrade mysql to 5.6.26 --- use gcc49 to compile. Try to run db or game. Game.core , debug with gdb ... woilla instruction problem.

3) And more userful things.  In clang you can migrate code to c++11 with modernizer. :) Eh ?

1) It's so """native""" that half of the ports will throw lots of errors when you compile them with clang. (default behavior)

Native, in this case, means "installed by default", not "it makes instructions more clear blablabla".

2) For binaries compiled with gcc4.9, you should usually use "gdb-7.10_4" (the minor version could vary), otherwise you'll get the "dwarf instruction problem" error. (pretty normal)

Mysql 5.6 is one of the most criticized versions. Since you like to be alternative, you can also try MariaDB (mysql fork).

3) As I stated before, one could even use both. Use clang's modernizr and then compile it with gcc. (which is pretty edgy)

I rewrited some parts of smart_pointers to prevent memory leak.  Butt still have some leaks.

Kinda all ymir's code is made with raw new/delete operators. The only code wrapped in smart pointers is related to the queries (and not all the times).

Server-side, most all the stuff are loaded once (regens, map attrs, etc), and there's no default way to free them without closing the process. (I would call them "cached" and not "memory leaking" anyway)

Client-side, it's the same thing, except of the Outdoor loading, which clearly leaks few mb every time you warp somewhere. (on the WE, it's pretty clear)

Note: If he installs gcc on freebsd 10.x, he will have to remap few things otherwise cryptopp will be compiled with clang, and the rest of the game with gcc. (which will end with a linking failure)

Or add g++49 in makefile cryptopp.

ORR? To instal directly from package.

pkg install security/cryptopp

And take files from usr/local.

• Love 1

Note: If he installs gcc on freebsd 10.x, he will have to remap few things otherwise cryptopp will be compiled with clang, and the rest of the game with gcc. (which will end with a linking failure)

Or add g++49 in makefile cryptopp.

ORR? To instal directly from package.

pkg install security/cryptopp

And take files from usr/local.

marty did note the first way (which would be adding g++49 to the make file) however most ppl will have a hard time with it.if they did not learn c++.

the secound way is a bit off. it could result in a linking error.

• Love 1