[Refactoring - Porting] Metin2 On Linux

Akronis

• Forum Moderator
15 hours ago, North said:

The game works just fine on wine there isn't any porting to do, if a linux user wants to run metin2 he can

Technically, yes, but it's not a porting, good point though.

If you want a real porting, you first need to compile all the libraries under linux, then to compile the game and db themselves on Linux. You don't have a lot to change on the architecture itself, but be ready to potentially mess with FDWatch.

About the client, you can't. You probably can run it with Wine though. If you want to natively use it on Linux, consider changing DX8 to something like OpenGL (which would, if done correctly, make the game better looking as well).

Edited by Gurgarath

Gurgarath
coming soon

• Premium
2 hours ago, Hik said:

Do you know if it is possible to compile the client on linux?

Possible it is but as @Gurgarath said, you'll need to drop the windows only libraries (dx8, which is not really easy to do) so you're better off running the game with Wine. There could be a way of implementing this with https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton with or without the steam runtime, but as I said, it's not really worth it ?

Hi guys,

thanks for yours replies, you've been really kind.

I found another guy who had the same idea of the one I wrote about in the first post, so we're now aiming to rewrite both server and client in modern C++, removing the unnecessary parts, add unicode support and also porting the former one on Linux.

Regards

Edited by Akronis
  • Love 1