GCC12 - error linking game

Hi, any idea?

GCC12 + c++20 (newest)
CryptoPP 8.7 (newest)
FreeBSD 13 (newest)

I maybe forgot some lib in makefile, or something, but idk I dont found what can be bad..
CryptoPP is installed and compiled from github repo.

Linking: ../../bin/release/game
/usr/local/bin/ld: ../../../Extern/lib/libcryptopp.a(asn.o): undefined reference to symbol '_ZNSt3__115basic_streambufIcNS_11char_traitsIcEEED2Ev'
/usr/local/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libc++.so.1: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake: *** [Makefile:102: ../../bin/release/game] Error 1

Edited by Pseudabo

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium

When compiling cryptopp you need to use gcc/g++ (same compiler used for the game/db). It probably compiled it with clang. You can edit the GNUmakefile and set CXX and CC:

###########################################################
#####        System Attributes and Programs           #####
###########################################################
CXX = g++
CC = gcc
# https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Makefile-Conventions
# and https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html

SHELL = /bin/sh

rest of the file

Edited by Intel

Ok, thanks mate, I found problem.. Because I didnt sleep 40 hours.. I made a mistake.. I linked cryptopp 2x in makefile from different directories.. (have 3.. yeah good rubish.. xd) and still compile oldest version.. Now I repair all mistakes and make one newest + add mv lib to new directory from cryptopp, but have same problem as 10000 peoples.. Cryptopp 8.7 doesnt work properly with gcc12. HOW SAD.

• Premium

Wym it doesn't work? I've heard about this, but I've tried 32 and 64bit on FreeBSD 13.0 and GCC12.2 and I got no problem. The only problems I had with crypto were in Ubuntu 64bit lmao

gX7yFdU.png

Meanwhile Ubuntu sadge:

Cuk06mq.png

Edited by Metin2 Dev International
Core X - External 2 Internal

As I search on google, this bug has many peoples of the world and official is here bug, but developers idk where..

gcm.cpp: In member function 'size_t CryptoPP::GCM_Base::_ZN8CryptoPP8GCM_Base18AuthenticateBlocksEPKhj.part.0(const CryptoPP::byte*, size_t)':
gcm.cpp:566:13: error: the register '%xmm5' cannot be clobbered in 'asm' for the current target
  566 |			 __asm__ __volatile__
	  |			 

Btw. freebsd is last clean install, same as all packages.. (35hours old installation)
I trying now downgrade to 8.6 and we see if this solve problems..
Which packages you have installed on freebsd, where cryptopp 8.7 works for u?

I have only:

boost 1.8.1
mysql-5.6
makedepend
make
lzo-2.10
gcc12
devil-1.8
cryptopp-8.7

bsd is x86 (from minimal bootonly)

Edit: Ok cryptopp 8.6 without problem under gcc12

ranlib libcryptopp.a
mv libcryptopp.a ../../lib
root@server:/usr/home/m2source/Extern/include/cryptopp #

Going to try game now..

Edited by Pseudabo

• Premium
25 minutes ago, Pseudabo said:

As I search on google, this bug has many peoples of the world and official is here bug, but developers idk where..

gcm.cpp: In member function 'size_t CryptoPP::GCM_Base::_ZN8CryptoPP8GCM_Base18AuthenticateBlocksEPKhj.part.0(const CryptoPP::byte*, size_t)':
gcm.cpp:566:13: error: the register '%xmm5' cannot be clobbered in 'asm' for the current target
  566 |			 __asm__ __volatile__
	  |			 

Mmh, I cannot find anything about this, the only thing I could find was this:

We removed GCC 12 from the supported compilers list. We believe it has a bug that is causing the validation suite to crash. See Issue 1134, Issue 1141 and GCC Issue 106568 for some of the discussion.

The crash is present with GCC 12 at -O2 or higher, and happens around the ECGDSA test suite. The crash is not present in GCC 12 at -O1 or -Os. The crash is not present in other compilers like Clang and MSVC. The crash was not present in earlier versions of GCC. Tools like Asan, UBsan and Valgirnd do not show a problem. -DCRYPTOPP_DISABLE_ASM and -fno-lto do not affect the problem.

We do not have a minimal reproducer, so tracking down the crash is problematic. We also cannot report it to the GCC folks without a reproducer.

The current workaround is to build the library at -O1 or -Os.

CryptoPP 8.7.0 to me is not crashing, at least in the metin2 implementation (except Ubuntu22.04, all tests passes but idk wtf happens with the packet encryption, even -O2, -O1 or older version. Ubuntu even uses gcc11, not 12).

It also definitely compiles gcm.cpp:

jQCDl57.png

or the whole library for that matter:

urLRYx7.png

14 minutes ago, Intel said:

Mmh, I cannot find anything about this, the only thing I could find was this:

CryptoPP 8.7.0 to me is not crashing, at least in the metin2 implementation (except Ubuntu22.04, all tests passes but idk wtf happens with the packet encryption, even -O2, -O1 or older version. Ubuntu even uses gcc11, not 12).

It also definitely compiles gcm.cpp:

jQCDl57.png

or the whole library for that matter:

urLRYx7.png

I try found something more about it + maybe is not bad idea try to compile under 64bit with jail..

Now have this error with cryptopp 8.6

/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_7SHACAL23EncEEE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_7SHACAL23EncEEE]+0x50): undefined reference to `CryptoPP::SHACAL2::Base::AlgorithmProvider[abi:cxx11]() const'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_7SHACAL23EncEEE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_7SHACAL23EncEEE]+0x78): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to CryptoPP::SHACAL2::Base::AlgorithmProvider[abi:cxx11]() const'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_7SHACAL23EncEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_7SHACAL23EncEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE]+0x16c): undefined reference to `CryptoPP::RandomNumberGenerator::GenerateIntoBufferedTransformation(CryptoPP::BufferedTransformation&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned long long)'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_3TEA3EncEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_3TEA3EncEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE]+0x16c): undefined reference to `CryptoPP::RandomNumberGenerator::GenerateIntoBufferedTransformation(CryptoPP::BufferedTransformation&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned long long)'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_8Blowfish4BaseEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_8Blowfish4BaseEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE]+0x16c): undefined reference to `CryptoPP::RandomNumberGenerator::GenerateIntoBufferedTransformation(CryptoPP::BufferedTransformation&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned long long)'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_3RC53EncEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_3RC53EncEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE]+0x16c): undefined reference to `CryptoPP::RandomNumberGenerator::GenerateIntoBufferedTransformation(CryptoPP::BufferedTransformation&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned long long)'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_4SEED4BaseEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_4SEED4BaseEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE]+0x16c): undefined reference to `CryptoPP::RandomNumberGenerator::GenerateIntoBufferedTransformation(CryptoPP::BufferedTransformation&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned long long)'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_8Camellia4BaseEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP36CipherModeFinalTemplate_CipherHolderINS_16BlockCipherFinalILNS_9CipherDirE0ENS_8Camellia4BaseEEENS_20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEESA_EEEE]+0x16c): more undefined references to `CryptoPP::RandomNumberGenerator::GenerateIntoBufferedTransformation(CryptoPP::BufferedTransformation&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned long long)' follow
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEES4_EE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEES4_EE]+0x48): undefined reference to `CryptoPP::AdditiveCipherTemplate<CryptoPP::AbstractPolicyHolder<CryptoPP::AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicy, CryptoPP::CTR_ModePolicy> >::AlgorithmProvider[abi:cxx11]() const'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEES4_EE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEES4_EE]+0xc0): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to CryptoPP::AdditiveCipherTemplate<CryptoPP::AbstractPolicyHolder<CryptoPP::AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicy, CryptoPP::CTR_ModePolicy> >::AlgorithmProvider[abi:cxx11]() const'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEES4_EE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEES4_EE]+0x130): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to CryptoPP::AdditiveCipherTemplate<CryptoPP::AbstractPolicyHolder<CryptoPP::AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicy, CryptoPP::CTR_ModePolicy> >::AlgorithmProvider[abi:cxx11]() const'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEES4_EE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEES4_EE]+0x14c): undefined reference to `non-virtual thunk to CryptoPP::AdditiveCipherTemplate<CryptoPP::AbstractPolicyHolder<CryptoPP::AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicy, CryptoPP::CTR_ModePolicy> >::AlgorithmProvider[abi:cxx11]() const'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEES4_EE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP20ConcretePolicyHolderINS_5EmptyENS_22AdditiveCipherTemplateINS_20AbstractPolicyHolderINS_28AdditiveCipherAbstractPolicyENS_14CTR_ModePolicyEEEEES4_EE]+0x168): undefined reference to `CryptoPP::RandomNumberGenerator::GenerateIntoBufferedTransformation(CryptoPP::BufferedTransformation&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned long long)'
/usr/local/bin/ld: release/cipher.o:(.rodata._ZTVN8CryptoPP20AutoSeededRandomPoolE[_ZTVN8CryptoPP20AutoSeededRandomPoolE]+0x34): undefined reference to `CryptoPP::RandomPool::GenerateIntoBufferedTransformation(CryptoPP::BufferedTransformation&, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned long long)'
/usr/local/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/gcc12/gcc/i386-portbld-freebsd13.1/12.2.0/../../../libstdc++.so: undefined reference to `__divmoddi4@GCC_7.0.0'
gmake: *** [Makefile:108: ../../bin/release/game] Error 1
root@server:/usr/home/m2source/Server/game/src #

• Premium

All these basic strings errors remind me to the same problem I already mentioned: compiling one thing with clang/++ and the other with gcc/++.

There's a similar issue for example with the fmt library.

A simple program:

//myprogram.cpp
#include <fmt/core.h>

int main() {
  fmt::print("Hello, world!\n");
  return 0;
}

would have linker errors related to std::__cxx11::basic_string if you compile fmt with clang and then do:

g++ -lfmt myprogram.cpp 

Edited by Intel

19 minutes ago, Intel said:

All these basic strings errors remind me to the same problem I already mentioned: compiling one thing with clang/++ and the other with gcc/++.

There's a similar issue for example with the fmt library.

A simple program:

//myprogram.cpp
#include <fmt/core.h>

int main() {
  fmt::print("Hello, world!\n");
  return 0;
}

would have linker errors related to std::__cxx11::basic_string if you compile fmt with clang and then do:

g++ -lfmt myprogram.cpp 

I deleted package of cryptopp and have now only from extern and finally have only this problem:

/usr/local/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/gcc12/gcc/i386-portbld-freebsd13.1/12.2.0/../../../libstdc++.so: undefined reference to `__divmoddi4@GCC_7.0.0'
gmake: *** [Makefile:108: ../../bin/release/game] Error 1
root@server:/usr/home/m2source/Server/game/src #

Yea fmt, can be.. I will try recompile fmt with newest gcc (maybe is compiled with oldest gcc..)

14 minutes ago, Intel said:

fmt was an example (it's not used on metin2 server files). Try to clean all and recompile

No, you are right, I using fmt in my source.. +1 for you

Edit: Yeeep finally SOLVED! Thank you so much for help! But Im not glad with that cryptopp 8.7 😕 I try to other platforms, maybe found something..

gcc12
c++20

Boost 1.81.0 (can be removed from source)
DevIL 1.8.0 (fix with mark already exist)
CryptoPP 8.6

Works like a charm, so if anyone upgrading source, ill can use these versions.

Edited by Pseudabo

• Premium
1 hour ago, Pseudabo said:

No, you are right, I using fmt in my source.. +1 for you

Edit: Yeeep finally SOLVED! Thank you so much for help! But Im not glad with that cryptopp 8.7 😕 I try to other platforms, maybe found something..

gcc12
c++20

Boost 1.81.0 (can be removed from source)
DevIL 1.8.0 (fix with mark already exist)
CryptoPP 8.6

Works like a charm, so if anyone upgrading source, ill can use these versions.

Oh, you were using fmt? Well then ahah

Boost can be removed yeah, although I still use it:

t0jwrc5.png

Btw gcc13 has been released, don't know when it will be officially available on freebsd pkg manager though

1 hour ago, Intel said:

Oh, you were using fmt? Well then ahah

Boost can be removed yeah, although I still use it:

t0jwrc5.png

Btw gcc13 has been released, don't know when it will be officially available on freebsd pkg manager though

Yeah too using boost, I said it only for info if anyone read this topic.. We will see if gcc13 fix cryptopp or not.. Btw.  c++23 will be too out in december