Maximum MapSize Curiosity

Hello, I'm curious if I can make a 50x50 map or what is the limit for a map to not be full of glitches and bugs. I know the map will have in the final maybe 1-2GB but who cares in 2023 about space. I got a big project and I want to do a global map for all the players with daily missions on it. Please respond if you know ?

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Ruraku said:

Hello, I'm curious if I can make a 50x50 map or what is the limit for a map to not be full of glitches and bugs. I know the map will have in the final maybe 1-2GB but who cares in 2023 about space. I got a big project and I want to do a global map for all the players with daily missions on it. Please respond if you know ?

With 50x50 you're not exceeding any datatype limit so it should be doable.

The problem is more likely the resource management, you'll have 1 core where all players will be. I'm sure it will not run fine if you will have 1000s of players because Metin2's code is obselete, and not really optimized by any mean for this kind of use.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, TMP4 said:

With 50x50 you're not exceeding any datatype limit so it should be doable.

The problem is more likely the resource management, you'll have 1 core where all players will be. I'm sure it will not run fine if you will have 1000s of players because Metin2's code is obselete, and not really optimized by any mean for this kind of use.

Do you know what I should do to be all good? I don't think I will have 1000 players haha but who knows. It's my first project and I would like to do something different for a fun gameplay. Maybe would be good to let 4 channels? And maybe to do somehow to distribute the players on all channels if 1 is too full. Btw, I use your posted serverfile, it's so nice and I really appreciate your work ? Maybe I will post my project someday and I will credit you for the serverfile ?

• Contributor
6 hours ago, Ruraku said:

Do you know what I should do to be all good?

It's not that easy. You have to basically rewrite Metin2's codebase with a more modern environment, probably change game engine to UE. Big game developer companies doesn't do 1 map for all player either.

You can still use a big map for all players and it will work, just as wanted to point out all the load will be concentrated to 1 core. You have to think about some load balancing, forcing players to use different channnels is good for balancing but players probably wont like this.

• Good 1

6 hours ago, TMP4 said:

It's not that easy. You have to basically rewrite Metin2's codebase with a more modern environment, probably change game engine to UE. Big game developer companies doesn't do 1 map for all player either.

You can still use a big map for all players and it will work, just as wanted to point out all the load will be concentrated to 1 core. You have to think about some load balancing, forcing players to use different channnels is good for balancing but players probably wont like this.

Yea.. I will see, maybe I will cut the map in more parts and use portals through, thank you for answering ?