Running a metin2 server, safe?!

Hello guys!

So, i am not delusional, i know exactly that hosting a metin2 server is totally illegal regarding copyright. Although i am interested about the best solutions, what can we do?

For me its very important to have all my earnings taxed and 100% tax clean. Currently running a smaller (8-900 player server) i set up a company about 2 years ago and all earnings are clean in that regard (no issues whatsoever yet). 

Future plans include an interational server, which might of course draw more attention than the current "smaller" server, so what about the copyright? How far can GF reach? The server is, would and will be running from an
EU country but not Germany, does this make their job "catching" us harder? Does it matter what country the server is running from?

Would maybe setting up a shadow field of activity (like some other, legal gameserver, idk like minecraft?!)

So, i am interested, what are your thoughts, experiences guys?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Contributor

As I worked out you have 2 questions:

1. Does it make GF harder to sue you if you don't live in Germany?
  2. How to avoid copyright infringement with a private metin2 server?

1. It depends on your country, but if you live in the EU, it's basicly the same. Don't rely on the fact that you don't live in Germany.
2. It's like asking how you can avoid committing a crime when you purposely committing a crime. If you want to legally run a metin2 server, contact Webzen and be one of Metin2's publishers. You probably have to choose a country where Metin2 doesn't published yet, but like SG did, you server can still be international-ish anyway.

If you still want to do your stuff illegally but you want to feel safer, choose a country where GF doesn't have the rights over distributing Metin2 (outside EU), open a company and do your business there with the hope Webzen will not sue you. AFAIK Webzen has not yet initiated legal proceedings against private servers.

Edited by TMP4