Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Creo said:

How can I reset root password at virtualbox freebsd 9.2? I don't remember it

Just use command passwd I think

Edit: I think you meant reset not changing, I missunderstood you

anyway to reset see freebsd faq:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/admin.html#idp49286264

but in virtualbox you don't have to write "boot -s" to enter single-user mode, you can just enter it by clicking the number beside "Single User Mode" to enter it

Edited by Asentrix

Combining rare usage of the root password with a reluctance to store it in a password manager could be a recipe for disaster. It would be a tremendous shame to have to reinstall an OS just because of a failure to remember a password. Luckily, there are often ways around this problem. In FreeBSD, you should be able to recover root access when you have forgotten the root password by following these steps:

1. Restart the system.
  2. At the boot: prompt, enter boot -s to enter Single User Mode.
  3. When asked what shell to use, press the Enter key.
  4. Because the root filesystem will be mounted read-only by default, you will need to remount it using the mount -ruw / command to give yourself read/write access.
  5. Run mount -a to remount all filesystems specified in the /etc/fstab file.
  6. Run passwd root to set a new root password.
  7. Run exit to continue booting normally.

6 hours ago, Kafa said:

Combining rare usage of the root password with a reluctance to store it in a password manager could be a recipe for disaster. It would be a tremendous shame to have to reinstall an OS just because of a failure to remember a password. Luckily, there are often ways around this problem. In FreeBSD, you should be able to recover root access when you have forgotten the root password by following these steps:

1. Restart the system.
  2. At the boot: prompt, enter boot -s to enter Single User Mode.
  3. When asked what shell to use, press the Enter key.
  4. Because the root filesystem will be mounted read-only by default, you will need to remount it using the mount -ruw / command to give yourself read/write access.
  5. Run mount -a to remount all filesystems specified in the /etc/fstab file.
  6. Run passwd root to set a new root password.
  7. Run exit to continue booting normally.

passwd: root: no such user

22 hours ago, Asentrix said:

Just use command passwd I think

Edit: I think you meant reset not changing, I missunderstood you

anyway to reset see freebsd faq:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/admin.html#idp49286264

but in virtualbox you don't have to write "boot -s" to enter single-user mode, you can just enter it by clicking the number beside "Single User Mode" to enter it

yeah exactly nothing works and i just want to log in for 5 minutes so i can export my source code.......