Which is the best VPS or VDS for an International Metin2 Server?

• Premium

This is not counterstrike where you gonna miss a headshot if your ping is over 20ms & these days Europe is very heavily connected compared to years ago making the location a non issue compared to many other factors that affect gameplay smoothness in MMORPG. The countries with the best connectivity are Germany, France, UK and Netherlands.

• Love 1

• Contributor

Don't overthink it, mate.

Even if you choose the central point of your players area, the slowdown caused by the internet connection is going to be insignificant(considering that m2 barely sends a couple kb of data to each player every second)

The problem with most servers these days isn't the internet speed, but the shitty server cores. Internet speed isn't the problem when your core eats 100% of the CPU with 80 players on an octa core, 64GB VPS(yeah, I've seen that shit).

What I always recommend is to get a decent dedicated VPS in the beginning(4 cores and 16/32Gb ram), keep it for a month, and then resize from there based on your needs - my bet is you'll keep it as is or, probably, size down.

• Love 1

• Premium

I want to say something aditional about what Amun said. When it comes to cpu, it's not about how many core it has and more about how high the cpu freq is. So a 16 core of 3 ghz, can perform less than a 8 core of 5 ghz. This is because m2 has multiple cores and mostly only 2-3 cores have high cpu usage like the map1 especially if you have map1 on a general channel. Most of the other cores requires almost no cpu power. I never used vps or vds, only dedicated server because i was affraid of not having a stable network, but other than that i guess a vds can be good. Also if your server has high mysql usage some optimisations can reduce it to almost nothing (i have like 0.54% usage on a big old server)

When you start for the first time, never go for the most expensive dedicated just to feel safe. This game has very small usage if your source code is properly written. Most of servers have lagg because of bad code not because of the host. Run some tests make sure your systems don't use lot of cpu when more people do the same request in the same time / or when they have to run through lot of data especially if you have something that doesn't use cached data (and better update the code to use some form of cached data). Add some cooldowns on your server's commands too so nobody can spam them, and even on the packets.

Use index on tables, otherwise anybody can lagg your game directly from the website. Better add google recaptcha on any request that uses direct query on your website. (like login, register). On the user panel you can use cached data (you load it on login, you don't use direct query to get the email, username and other details). And avoid direct query on every page refresh. When it comes to players ranking, make a script to generate the list in a .txt file using a cronjob, and the page only displays the .txt file instead. The same you do for the online players statistics. 

Shogun has a topic about mysql 8 or something, that has a good my.cnf example of how to tune your mysql for the best speed. (but this require to have plenty of ram though, however ram is cheap everywhere) and most of the things there are ok for older mysql versions.

Edited by Speachless