Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello, community!

I am a beginner Metin developer (which doesn't mean I am not a developer). While I was looking through the forum I haven't found the right answer for question which client and server files should I use (there are lot of answers, but I didn't found any references to ready binaries or compiled versions of client and server files). I have decided to ask a question which can help me and other guys in future, you know, like stackoverflowers does. 

1. So the first question I would like to ask, what is the difference between novaline and mainline and what actually those terms means? 

2. I would like to run a server core which is similar to the Metin version from year 2012. Which files should I use? Can I get a link to the source files which can be compiled later for my needs? A tutorial would also be great but I don't think that it would be hard to found it as there are lot of them. 

3. What client should I use to work with my server? Or how should I modify the official client to knock to it?

4.  Is there any way to create a game patcher that can keep the client up to date with that one I have got on my server?

5. Is there any wiki or knowledge base where I can read about database columns, server and client files responsibilities? I mean for example if I want to change the time length between reading the books where should I change it (once again, this was just an example).

6. Some tools with short description or a reference would be helpful.

I know that I asked lot of questions in one topic but I think that if someone answers them properly it would help other future developers who are coming to met up with the game. 

You know, the hardest thing is to get familiar with the project. 

Hope someone will help me.

Cheers!

Link to comment
https://metin2.dev/topic/13192-metin2-client-and-server-recomended-binaries/
Share on other sites

  • Active+ Member

Hello dude :) welcome to Metin2 server developing

Due to the numberous answers there is for every question you have and considering my limited time I may not be able to be as specific as you want but I'm gonna give you something to start your researches. So...

  1. The difference between mainline and novaline is that mainline is the untouched version of metin2 source, while novaline is touched (I don't know what did the releaser touched I just know it's touched). Mainline is also the european untouched version, while mainline_released is the singapourean untouched version (different restrictions - can be removed easily for example LC_IsSingapour or something like that). As for the client source I don't think it's a good idea to use some of these revisions, but to use @Reboot's clean source or @Terenzo.'s updated binary.
  2. You cannot (and shouldn't) use a 2012 core revision, as the best for your server's functionality and security is to use always the latest and most updated version. The source of the game first appeared at 2014 when the 40k files released. Before that (at 2013) there was 34k that did not contain any source code released and before that 2089 etc... What you can do is just disable things you do not want from quests or source and just create the game as you want it.
  3. If you use a serverfiles set (game+mysql gz files + source) it is recommended to use those sf's compatible binary (for example Maxmi 4.1 with it's own client). If you do not have any set like this you can use the simple 40k client (Client 40k fur Test or something like that, I don't have a link but it's easy to find). Make also sure that you use libs and dlls compatible with your builded binary (example granny 2.9 version for binaries with granny 2.9).
  4. Patcher is the last thing to worry about there are plenty of tutorials all over the internet in forums, even YouTube. You just need a hosted space so you can upload your files and specify the URL to the patcher's config file. Then edit the HTML GUI part and the buttons and you are set to go. But as I said you should let this part for the end.
  5. Unfortunately there is not an online documentation for the Metin2 source but I believe that this is the biggest forum online and many people should resond to your questions until you get familliar with the source and start discovering things by your own.
  6. In your novaline/mainline/mainline_released folders in the Tools directory you should find some useful tools for example Dump_proto, that will help you convert your item_names/proto.txt and mob_names/proto.txt into item_proto and mob_proto files for your locale pack. You should also find and download the EterNexus tool for packing/unpacking packs. Also, in the Tools you will find other things like granny viewer, PuTTY and other useful stuff.

I hope I answered to all your questions and help you start researching and discovering. I wish you good luck with your project and a great success to you and your management team (if it's a server you are trying to open and run) :)

Kind regards ~ Mind Rapist

  • Good 1
  • Love 4

Don't use any images from : imgur, turkmmop, freakgamers, inforge, hizliresim... Or your content will be deleted without notice...
Use : https://metin2.download/media/add/

Please use https://metin2.download/ when uploading files smaller than 100MB, otherwise the approval will take longer due to manual upload.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy / Guidelines / We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.