64GB HDD or 16GB SSD?

What are your intentions? Usually 16Gb is too small for a windows installation, so I would chose none :D 64Gb HDD isn't too much, but at least you can put things on it :)

Actually you can either buy an USB3 pendrive, which has the same capacity for less price.

Are you sure that they are 16 and 64? Not 160 & 640?

spacer.png

• Premium

I was asking about the drive for the metin2 server, not for the storage as the general as far as I know that files that I got on my computer game34k weight around 5 MB, so am not sure if I should go for a SUPER FAST DRIVE but with LESS STORAGE or for a SUPER SLOW with TONS OF STORAGE. This was by question. I am talking here about VPS. ;p

3 hours ago, Unc3nZureD said:

What are your intentions? Usually 16Gb is too small for a windows installation, so I would chose none :D 64Gb HDD isn't too much, but at least you can put things on it :)

Actually you can either buy an USB3 pendrive, which has the same capacity for less price.

Are you sure that they are 16 and 64? Not 160 & 640?

Lol, *Facepalm*

By the way, I would choose HDD. Why? Because you are safe on storage and metin2 is written to be able to operate even on normal HDD too. SSD would only boost your SQL processing power, which would give you some advantage if you want to both run the server and make manual queries to the log - which is... Not that often used :)

What you most need for a server is CPU power & RAM. And of course sometimes space for backups or logs.

• Love 2

spacer.png

• Premium
11 hours ago, tierrilopes said:

Just dont host a metin2 server in a vps (seems thats a eterhost vps).

You can get dedicated servers really cheap.

If you dont want logs (or have them auto-deleting in like 1h intervals): 16gb ssd. But you need to make backups externally.

Else, 64hdd.

You're right, it's eterhost. But where could I find DEDICATED SERVER for less than £10 (10 Euro). But thanks for your reply, If you would like to share with me where I can find it cheaper I would be happy to accept that information from you.

10 hours ago, Unc3nZureD said:

Lol, *Facepalm*

By the way, I would choose HDD. Why? Because you are safe on storage and metin2 is written to be able to operate even on normal HDD too. SSD would only boost your SQL processing power, which would give you some advantage if you want to both run the server and make manual queries to the log - which is... Not that often used :)

What you most need for a server is CPU power & RAM. And of course sometimes space for backups or logs.

Thanks for the answer, then I will stick to HDD. I thought about SSD at the first point because you know high speeds etc, so i thought it might be better for the server overall. But okay, I will stick with HDD as it's better option. 

Thanks @tierrilopes @Unc3nZureD

• 1 month later...
On 2016. 01. 06. at 3:15 PM, Unc3nZureD said:

Not that easy to die! Todays SSDs can even handle ONE PETABYTE (1024 Terbyte!) Data traffic, which is not too small :) And even if the SSD would die, the server owner had to replace it, not the user :)

If you download lot of films, and use torrent (seed), easier die SSD. :)

If you use only one partition for system, file game and logs you should be careful for filesystem root full, because if it reaches 100% you can't access to server via ssh! So the solution is create 3 partition: root (the fs /), /var and /usr/games (the path for your fileserver). In this way if the game logs write too fast and fill the filesystem /usr/games/ only the game will crash and you can clear your logs easy.

I suggest you to monitor your filesystems with some monitoring tool that can be sent you an alert for example on your smartphone (email or apps) and clear manually the filesystem.

Moreover you shuld rotate correctly your logs to free space automatically.

Remember: There were servers that have closed because of file system full and they could not fix the problem within a reasonable time. if you want to save money on hardware, you have to be able to properly design your system, or find someone who can do it.

So, if you're not careful, 64 gb will not be enough, however, since metin could write a lot of logs.

I suggest you to take SSD if you apply all the actions I've listed before to perfection and if you can take timely action in case of alert by monitoring, otherwise you can take that from 64gb and let loose monitoring, but other actions you will need to apply them anyway and occasionally stepping on machine and check the file systems with df -h

On 6/1/2016 at 3:15 PM, Unc3nZureD said:

Not that easy to die! Todays SSDs can even handle ONE PETABYTE (1024 Terbyte!) Data traffic, which is not too small :) And even if the SSD would die, the server owner had to replace it, not the user :)

They replace hardware, but if you don't have two disk on mirror you loose your data. Occurs if the hard drives are at least raid1.

If they are in raid1, the manteiner can replace the disk without powering down the machine.

But modern SDD are good and don't die so easy. Moreover traditional hard drives are not indestructible.