• Register Now

Sign up and take advantage of the features of our community! Some forums are only accessible to our members!

Is Metin 2 Dead?

Finnael

• VIP

Is Metin 2 Dead? (yet?)

After seeing a troll guy opening a topic in the forum asking if the game is dead and getting nothing but “yes” answers, I wanted to open the same topic with the same question to get the people’s honest opinions about Metin2’s current state. Because I am one of few people who believes the game is not dead and still has a long life to go if the right steps are taken. I am sure most of you will not agree to this and this is the reason why I am opening this topic. To have a serious discussion on the game’s current state and in the end I am just gonna ask you a question.

“Is Metin2 dead?” This was a question I was asking myself for the last six months. After deciding to learn Metin2 development(It kinda sounds stupid when you say like this) most of my friends(some of them are software engineers mainly working on games industry) thought I was wasting my time on a 15 years old dead game. They said I would never learn anything useful that will help me in my software engineering career nor I would earn enough money for all the time and energy I spend on developing systems or opening servers. Some of them have never played Metin2 before and were very biased against it. The idea of working on anything related to Metin 2 was so funny and ridiculous for them they just mocked me and said I was crazy. For them Metin 2 was a game low-class people played. People who can’t buy expensive computers to play other-new-better MMOs or people who didn’t have enough education to communicate in English on other MMOs with foreigners. One of them even said that It was a game of peasant-class. (Isn’t it interesting that some people make social arguments based on a game?) And my other friends who played Metin2 back in 2009-2012 era said that the game was basically dead and no one was playing it. For them the game was a thing of the past. Something they fondly remembered when they occasionally heard the Enter the East or remembered the stupid shits happened in the game. For some of them the game had a huge impact on their childhood. Some skipped school to go to the internet cafe to get the 35 level and maybe drop that Full-Moon Sword that they were trying to get for the last 3 days. Some scammed by guys who pretend to be a girl. In Turkey most people around my age had an experience with Metin2 in their childhood. But time passed and they moved on. To different games. And after playing other games, seeing how other developers care about their games, seeing how much of a pay to win game Metin2 is they just don’t have any intention to come back. Why would they?

Now after saying all these you all are probably like “Yeaah, this is why Metin2 is dead. Fuck Gameforge. And all the big private server owners who think nothing but how to earn more money and do nothing to improve the game. Like (you guessed it) Gameforge.” Everyone says “It is this this year. This year the game will die.” But interestingly the game never actually dies. When you look at the numbers I am gonna share soon, you will realize that there are still people who play this game and they regularly spend money on it. And we all know that private servers are the place where the real player base is.

If you didn’t know Webzen is a publicly-traded company. Each quarter of the year they release a financial report on how much money the company has earned that quarter for the investors. Luckily we can also download these financial reports to have an idea on how much Webzen earns from Metin2. (Not including Gameforge, this is the money Webzen earns from Metin2) This should give us a pretty good idea on if the game is dead or not. If the game is dying then the money game earning should be dropping with each quarter.

This image is from the last financial report Webzen released back in August. I will put a link to the report itself if you wanna see it yourself. I will also put a link to the Webzen website where you can see every report released from 2003 to this day. 

unknown.png

As you can see Webzen’s earnings from Metin2 increased by %156 in the second quarter of this year. It jumped from 2,477 million KRW (2 million USD dollars(roughly)) to 6,346 million KRW(5.3 million USD dollars). This is unheard of for a 15 years old game that gets a content update every 2 years. And this is what Webzen earned this quarter. We don’t know what kind of deal they have with Gameforge but if we assume that it is a %50-%50 deal Metin2 players (those who play on the official servers) spend 10 million dollars this quarter. And that is only the official servers. We all know that the majority of the player base is playing on private servers. 

Now there might be a lot of reasons why the earning jumped from 2 million to a stunningly 5.3 million. Quarantine might be one of them. As you can see other games Webzen developed and published also saw a big increase. For example MU Online’s earnings increased by %77, but that is still nothing compared to Metin2. I think that is because there are still a lot of people who played Metin2 back then and after this quarantine thing happened they wanted to go back to the game and invested enough in it to spend money. Otherwise there is really no logical explanation to this increase, as the game didn’t get any significant update in this period that might draw back old players back to the game.

Not only this but for the first time in all those years Gameforge decided to give Metin2 ads on big television channels in Turkey with the release of Conqueror of Yohara Expansion. This is pretty important stuff since Gameforge never did that before. Giving ads to the television on channels, especially the big ones are pretty costly. This just shows how much they are determined to not let Metin2 die yet. 

And there are private servers. I am sure most of the people who are in this forum prefer playing private servers. And this is the same for most players too. After playing a private server you just can’t play on the official servers again. Because the official servers are the definition of a P2W game. It should be taught as the perfect example of a P2W game in schools. In this quarter of the year we saw the opening of the big servers like Rubinum and Aeldra. These are big servers that definitely stole some players from official servers. (And that increase in Webzen’s earnings happened despite this) For example Rubinum saw a stunning 14k players on the opening day. This is a screenshot from the opening day of Rubinum. There were 12 different chs and all of them were full of players. All the chs were like this photo:

Ek_Acklama_2020-06-06_174213.png?width=8

And more than a month has passed since Aeldra’s opening and it is still going strong with lots of active players.

Origins2 a pretty popular private server that opened back in 2019(I think?) still going strong even after the opening of big servers like Rubinum and Aeldra.

I don’t know what the situation is in other countries with big Metin2 player bases. But in Turkey every week dozens of new servers are opening big or small. Some of them spend thousands of dollars (some tens of thousands) on ads. They give ads to big Instagram/Facebook pages, make contracts with big youtubers/streamers, send literally hundreds of thousands of SMS (If you made the mistake of entering your telephone number when registering for one of the private servers you are doomed. Since you will be getting minimum one SMS everyday about a new private server opening with the best systems never seen before in any server and it is gonna last for years.) Some private servers are organizing tournaments with thousands of dollars prize pools. (a thousand dollar might not look like a big number if you are in the EU but it is a lot of money in Turkey. 1000$ = 7476TL with the current rates. Minimum wage in Turkey is 2324TL. It is more than 3 month’s wage.)

Back in May a server opened in Turkey. It was open for roughly 3 weeks, because a duplication bug was found and once it was found the guys who opened the server just closed the server because they couldn’t find any way to fix it. After this incident they blamed each other for the error. They opened a thread in Turkmmo blaming each other. One of them shared an interesting image. Image of how much money they earned after 2 weeks. Now note this, this was a server with max user count of maybe 2k or 2.5k. 

iiMuEb.png?width=950&height=677

A total of 65k TL. Nearly 10k dollars in just 2 weeks. And the server they opened was just the same old shit. There was nothing impressive, nothing groundbreaking, nothing game changing. And people just played it. Why? 

Well I don’t have an answer to that question. This is why I am asking this question to you. Why do they still play it, when every server is the same shit with different colors? Why do they spend these ridiculous money on a 15 years old game that gets literally a content update every 2 years? Why do they still get excited about a new private server opening, one which they played for literally hundred of hours before, one that they know might get closed after a month? CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY?

Thanks for coming my TED talk.

Links:

1.) Webzen's 2020 Q2 Report: http://company.webzen.com/Files//WEBZEN_2Q20_Earnings Release_Aug.07.2020.pdf

2.) Webzen's financial report library: http://company.webzen.com/en/ir/irlibrary

3.) Drama I mentioned: #

Edited by VegaS™
Link removed by moderator (see edit history)
  • Love 5
  • Think 1

Hello!

Pretty long, but well organised TED talk, I like it!

I can only give you my opinion, as a long-time player, and a server owner. 

The key parts of your questions are related to old memories. Most of the current players are from 2010-12 golden Metin2 era. They try to live again those years, the prime of Metin2. No matter how many times they are disappointed in a server, they will still try new ones, because of the massive competition at server starts. Sadly, the owners mostly know that. And they create the servers to be competitive for the first 1-2 months. There are only a handful of servers which are truly care in long-term updates, and player satisfaction. (I'm not gonna name any server, this topic is not about that) The money spending part again, is related to the competition, between guilds/players. Everyone wants to be the number 1. And the last, but maybe the most important part of this conversation, which is never mentioned, the complexity of the game. This is the biggest reason why this game is popular, even today. It's not complex at all, so easy to understand, and doesn't require any skills. Only time, or/and money, and to press the space as much as you can. This game will be popular for so many years, because of that. Of course, I could mention many more segments, but these are the most important ones, at least in my opinion.

• Love 3

Metin2 it's not dead. There was a period of 2-3 months in official server when they had less players and big mistakes were made (when they did those company changes). Metin2 will not die very soon, as you noticed the last update was very important for them and they updated the games like a real game developer should do (not like 3-4 months ago when they launched updates with important bugs).

This ideea with metin2 being dead might be cause because this board is dead (maybe because of bad management ? ) and other metin2 private boards are dying everyday.

• Love 2
  • VIP
2 hours ago, Johnny69 said:

Metin2 it's not dead. There was a period of 2-3 months in official server when they had less players and big mistakes were made (when they did those company changes). Metin2 will not die very soon, as you noticed the last update was very important for them and they updated the games like a real game developer should do (not like 3-4 months ago when they launched updates with important bugs).

This ideea with metin2 being dead might be cause because this board is dead (maybe because of bad management ? ) and other metin2 private boards are dying everyday.

They updated the game like a real game developer should do ?

Cb23n4W.png

Mario looks better.

NZctgNQ.jpg

Edited by Speachless (see edit history)
  • Love 2
  • Lmao 3
  • Dead 1
  • VIP

The picture you posted shows the reason why Metin2 is still alive:

Turkish Players

Now let me tell you the reason why Metin2 has so many turkish people playing... most people in Turkey don't have money for high end-pcs and 70% of them can only run games with crappy graphics.

12 hours ago, .Paradox said:

Turkish Players

Now let me tell you the reason why Metin2 has so many turkish people playing... most people in Turkey don't have money for high end-pcs and 70% of them can only run games with crappy graphics.

If they don't have money for high-end PC, how can they spend the most in Metin? And not only in metin, I've played multiple mmo on phone as well, Turkish players are the top spenders just behind the Chinese players.  

Edited by Apranax (see edit history)
  • Love 5

Hello Finnael

First of all I am Turkish too.

I have nothing do to with metin 2 development but i like the game, i still miss  the old days.

I used to play metin 2 in 2008. Those days were so good. There were only 2 servers back then, Alesta and Tramola...

I played metin 2 for approximately 2 to 3 years. When i go to school all my classmates were also metin 2 players and we would talk all day about the game.

But i don't play metin 2 anymore. And i am not gonna play it. 

There are still so many Turkish metin 2 players out there but you know what.

They are peasants. They don't have enough money for a high-end system.

They  are not gamers, they are addicts, they don't have any gaming culture.

All they know is metin 2. If you give them some water, food and metin 2, they can spend rest of lifes in this game.

I know there are some people playing metin 2 with a 2080 Super graphic card and thick wallet

but it doesn't mean that this game is worth spending your precious time.

Turkish people even plays Knight Online. I heard that some one bought a item for 10k dollar or something like that??

Do you think this is a normal human act? They are not normal...

That discord photo might be fake, don't trust anyone.

Metin 2 is not dead but it's gonna die. I wouldn't recommend investing your precious time on a game like this.

• Lmao 2

@Speachless I was talking about the process of update not about the game graphics. If you watched the last times they did update you know most of their bugs where made because they either forget to move a file or they forget to move some lines in item/mob proto ...

About turkish people and their payments, I belive the payments are small but because there are a lot of them on metin2 server the total sum is bigger. ( I noticed the largest sum in one payment is made by arabic people )

• Love 1

I completely agree with Johnny's point of view, except for the forum part. Even if our policy tends to limit the amount of posting per day to embrace quality, but that's another subject and currently offtopic.

The game is getting updated and if it was not for the overall graphics, UI keeps getting updated, models get updated and more importantly, gameplay is getting updated. They tend to add content for the end game, but they also don't forget lower level players and I think they get their stuff done and stick to the trend of what a modern MMORPG is (I am not talking about 2020 brand new RPG, but I am talking about Modernizing a MMORPG, like WoW do). Of course, there is the monetary policy of GameForge to add to the equation, this is what people reffers to usually and they tend to confuse editors with developpers, confusion that was less present when we still had, to name them only, .us, co.kr and .jp around.

They fixes bugs (even bugs that were there for years), tweak ui, refactor the game in depths and rework mechanics, like group exp, guilds, skills and they keep on bringing interesting features to the game. It is different from the time they released Razador and Nemere which where just (except for a few exclusive features) a mirrored version of eachother.

Edited by Gurgarath (see edit history)
  • Love 1
  • Rainbow 1
20 hours ago, kubi07 said:

All they know is metin 2. If you give them some water, food and metin 2, they can spend rest of lifes in this game.

Totally bullshit. We are in 2020, don't you know? 

Just go check the internet cafes. They play a lot of different games. And 95% does not play metin2 anymore since 2013.

"they don't have any gaming culture."

Steam 15 sep 2020 static for turkey:

Spoiler

dc14bba139.png

And I didn't even add Epic Games.

*So why are many Turks still playing Metin2 ?:

90% are old players. You can be sure of that.

And check this:

Spoiler

8f1777ee29.png

There are too many young people. And they play many different games.

in 2012, TR have 45! Server(Official):

Spoiler

DgjI2SKWAAALu4n.jpg

Now:

Spoiler

34b40eb1de.png

You can see the difference.

• Love 3
  • Lmao 1

no paid service

use at least c++11 and VS19, otherwise I won't help.

On 9/15/2020 at 7:05 PM, Mali61 said:

Totally bullshit. We are in 2020, don't you know? 

Just go check the internet cafes. They play a lot of different games. And 95% does not play metin2 anymore since 2013.

"they don't have any gaming culture."

Steam 15 sep 2020 static for turkey:

Hide contents

dc14bba139.png

And I didn't even add Epic Games.

*So why are many Turks still playing Metin2 ?:

90% are old players. You can be sure of that.

And check this:

Reveal hidden contents

8f1777ee29.png

There are too many young people. And they play many different games.

in 2012, TR have 45! Server(Official):

Hide contents

DgjI2SKWAAALu4n.jpg

Now:

Hide contents

34b40eb1de.png

You can see the difference.

Your comment is full of wrong information...

First: Steam 15 sep 2020 static for turkey:

Those are not specific statics for Turkey. They are world wide statics.

You really think on 15 september 800k players played cs go in Turkey?? OMG :D

We are talking about Turkish metin 2 players my friend.

Yes they don't have game culture. They are addicts.

I bet a Turkish metin 2 player have never played another game in his life.

No one plays metin 2 at net cafes, you know why? pc cafes are expensive for a  Turkish metin2 player.

but people with really low end pc's still play it at their home.

"90% are old players. You can be sure of that."

or you could say "%90 old players with no life" I am sure of that.

Official metin 2 servers are full of bots btw. not full of players.

I played wom2 few years ago. It was a very well developed server. But the player count was so low.

Meanwhile thousands of  Turkish players are playing on a server which meta-files are from 2008 :D

And the funny thing is turkish mt2 servers shuts down after 6 months. So they are playing metin2 knowing they will lose their progress later. :D

This is the proof turkish metin 2 players are addicts.

Also turkish metin 2 players can't play  on high quality servers like wom2 because they can't speak or understand English.

• Poop 4
  • VIP
On 9/14/2020 at 3:31 AM, .Paradox said:

Turkish Players

I don't agree with this. Kinda. Yes, It seems like %90 of the players in the offical servers are Turkish but there are lots of players from other countries who prefer playing in private servers. You can see that from the Rubinum image I shared. You can see lots of German and Italian players.

On 9/14/2020 at 10:28 PM, kubi07 said:

Hello Finnael

First of all I am Turkish too.

I have nothing do to with metin 2 development but i like the game, i still miss  the old days.

I used to play metin 2 in 2008. Those days were so good. There were only 2 servers back then, Alesta and Tramola...

I played metin 2 for approximately 2 to 3 years. When i go to school all my classmates were also metin 2 players and we would talk all day about the game.

But i don't play metin 2 anymore. And i am not gonna play it. 

There are still so many Turkish metin 2 players out there but you know what.

They are peasants. They don't have enough money for a high-end system.

I know there are some people playing metin 2 with a 2080 Super graphic card and thick wallet

but it doesn't mean that this game is worth spending your precious time.

Turkish people even plays Knight Online. I heard that some one bought a item for 10k dollar or something like that??

Do you think this is a normal human act? They are not normal...

That discord photo might be fake, don't trust anyone.

Metin 2 is not dead but it's gonna die. I wouldn't recommend investing your precious time on a game like this.

Now in both of these comment you guys said they are playing Metin2 because their system cannot run any other game. Sorry but I find that hard to believe. Especially when looking at the amount of money these people spend on this game. Other than that we are living in 2020 not in 2010. Even with the most low end system you still can play other online games like such as lol or csgo or other mmoorpgs. And like Mali said they are all old players. They are not kids, most of them have jobs. They have enough money to buy a pc to play the games they wanted to play.

I agree that some people became addicted to this game (otherwise there is no explanation to their behaviors). But I also think there is a lot of people who just play it for fun.

On 9/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, Gurgarath said:

The game is getting updated and if it was not for the overall graphics, UI keeps getting updated, models get updated and more importantly, gameplay is getting updated. They tend to add content for the end game, but they also don't forget lower level players and I think they get their stuff done and stick to the trend of what a modern MMORPG is (I am not talking about 2020 brand new RPG, but I am talking about Modernizing a MMORPG, like WoW do). Of course, there is the monetary policy of GameForge to add to the equation, this is what people reffers to usually and they tend to confuse editors with developpers, confusion that was less present when we still had, to name them only, .us, co.kr and .jp around.

They fixes bugs (even bugs that were there for years), tweak ui, refactor the game in depths and rework mechanics, like group exp, guilds, skills and they keep on bringing interesting features to the game. It is different from the time they released Razador and Nemere which where just (except for a few exclusive features) a mirrored version of eachother.

Yeah it is getting updated... every 2 years. That is the problem. The amount of updates the game gets is simply not enough. They still haven't implemented a feature like offline shops for example. You still have to unequip your armor and keep your client open to open a shop just like back in 2010. And GameForge is a whole another topic. I think they are the main reason why Metin2 is in this state.

And believe me they are not fixing the bugs at all. There is this bug with the item search system where upon writing the name of the item the server kicks you from the game. So people simply cannot use the item they bought with real money. And they haven't fixed this bug for more than 2 years (I think.). (It only happens in servers with big populations.)

• Love 1