How to reset the root password on FreeBSD ?

Hi guys, today i'm gonna show you how to reset a root password usualy as a .vdi FreeBSD x.x doesen't depend actually wich version because those are default commands initialy launched from the begining of FreeBSD.

I am not sure if this is posted somewhere if yes, please excuse me, so let's move on.

First thing, when starting the .vdi at the loader screen choose Single User Mode, in my case this is sortet as option number 2 so after pressing 2 the FreeBSD is loading a bunch of codes and we have to wait a little.

.gif

The number where the Single User Mode is set can be different from FreeBSD to FreeBSD.

Second, now after the machins is prompt and we are in the /bin/sh we can change our password.

.gif

Enter the following commands:

fsck

Then just press y when asked until you finish and see the following screen.

.gif

After making the fsck (wich help us changing the password with no errors) use the following commands:

mount -u /
mount -a
passwd

After hitting the passwd command, just enter your new password and it should be fine, reboot and that's it!

Thank you guys, see you soon with new content hopfuly! Cheers and have a great code.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Announcements

• Similar Content

• Similar Content

• Similar Content

• Tags

• Activity

1. 10

Multi Language System

2. 0

We are looking for a C++ and Python programmer

3. 0

[Quest Scheduler Request] Is there a way to make a quest run independet of player events? Lets say start quest automatically at server startup?

4. 111

Ulthar SF V2 (TMP4 Base)

5. 0

Quest function when 102.kill definition whereabouts help

6. 5

[M2 FILTER] Customized Client Filter

7. 0

[INGAME] RGB Color on chat broken

8. 5

[FREE] 1x1 pvp/event map by Davian