• 2 weeks later...

I havent got much time, but if im in mood i can help out a little bit.

It's not about the performance, Speedtree 4.1 (the only leaked sdk I found) allows for more realistic vegetation than Metin2 has. Think of something like this:

b04.jpg

2_181.jpg

The stupid thing is that metin uses a shit Field of View and a stupid fog rendering.

This makes the sky looking terrible and because of the fov the user only views the ground.

It would be possible to make the object rendering better with shaders, because the textures are too bad.

I dont think it is the granny format, althought the oblivion invidual character modification would fit to metin2. But I dont know much about those things.

By the way, if someone has SPT grass, could you send me some of them? I could customize the lod for it so people dont get laggs, if there are too much meshes.

Edited by Metin2 Dev
Core X - External 2 Internal

Opengl porting is overkill noone is experienced enough to port a whole game from DX8 -> OpenGL

It would be possible with a team of 3 ore more ppl, but the amount of time spent for this compared to the improvement doesn't worth it at all. With 90%( price aounrd 200€) of the prebuilt workstation's on the market you can play Metin2 without any problems. So why invest 100's of houres to make the game playable for 95% of ppl with shitty computers?

OpenGL is much faster even for Windows Computers and in my opinion it looks better

Dont forget multi device gaming u can use Every OS...

• 9 years later...