I am wondering if anyone of you want to update the dx version.

If there are some interested, let me know. I am not able to do it on my own because i can't solve all the errors i get after

crashing dx9 version.

Working with such an old version nowadays is really stupid, there are no tutorials, helpers and not many functions.

• Good 1
  • Love 2

This "converter" won't work for source

I already converted the source, took about an hour, but I get stupid crashes.

I think you really have to be carefully in converting it to dx9, otherwise there will come up many errors.

dx8 is really bad and yes we could add vertex and pixel shaders for textures, then it wouldn't look so crappy anymore.

If we get enough helpers, we could open a github page for dx9 version source code changes.

What do you think? Talking about VC 10.

Here you can see the changes from DX8 to DX9 : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb204851(v=vs.85).aspx

• Metin2 Dev 4
  • Good 2
  • Love 1
  • Love 2

You all where talking about directx but how about using opengl?

you can add more platforms for example aplle prosucts or nearly all UNIX systems or you dont need to update the version to the latest.

i dont know why but i personally prefer opengl and as far as i know does granny also run with opengl.

• Bronze

Opengl porting is overkill noone is experienced enough to port a whole game from DX8 -> OpenGL

It would be possible with a team of 3 ore more ppl, but the amount of time spent for this compared to the improvement doesn't worth it at all. With 90%( price aounrd 200€) of the prebuilt workstation's on the market you can play Metin2 without any problems. So why invest 100's of houres to make the game playable for 95% of ppl with shitty computers? 

• Not Good 1

• Former Staff

Opengl porting is overkill noone is experienced enough to port a whole game from DX8 -> OpenGL

It would be possible with a team of 3 ore more ppl, but the amount of time spent for this compared to the improvement doesn't worth it at all. With 90%( price aounrd 200€) of the prebuilt workstation's on the market you can play Metin2 without any problems. So why invest 100's of houres to make the game playable for 95% of ppl with shitty computers?

OpenGL is much faster even for Windows Computers and in my opinion it looks better

• Former Staff

OpenGL has not mutch to do with the look of the game, maybe the antialiasing would be betther but if the 3d Models and textures dosn't look good (what is the case in metin2) the end result wouldn't be betther in OpenGL ;) OpenGL doesn't convert shitty 3d models to hyper realistic human beings.

Map Textures are shitty in Metin2. But the 3D engine is a really good one. You can do some really high detailed stuff with that

• Love 1

• Bronze

OpenGL has not mutch to do with the look of the game, maybe the antialiasing would be betther but if the 3d Models and textures dosn't look good (what is the case in metin2) the end result wouldn't be betther in OpenGL ;) OpenGL doesn't convert shitty 3d models to hyper realistic human beings.

Map Textures are shitty in Metin2. But the 3D engine is a really good one. You can do some really high detailed stuff with that

I talk about the model's of the characters, and they are really not good .... even counterstrike 1.6 has betther character model's

• Bot

Consider that we dont have a speedtree implementation working with dx9 in the source...

And always keep in mind that the vertex shaders changed from dx8 to dx9.

DX9 is a shitload of work keeping this aspects in mind i managed to almost compile it but it failed because of this fked up speedtree library.

The new granny should support dx9 without problems.

Kind regards

MartPwnS

english_banner.gif