[3D]DDS lighting textures

• Premium

Hey guys,

because I do not know where to go for help anymore since even the autodesk community forum did not help me I have to ask here.

Does anyone of you know how to apply the .dds lighting textures to an object using 3DS max? Or rather how is the ligting texture supposed to work in general?

It's being used in many dungeons like demontower, enchanted forest, but even in the oldest ones like the ape dungeon.
When you put these objects onto your map its lighting changes immediately. That is why there is differences (color)  between each one of the ape dungeons and I would love to reproduce it.

Thx a lot for any tip!

Best regards,

Sandbone

• Premium
59 minutes ago, OtherChoice said:

I'm not 100% sure but probably its managed on client source level with matrices of texture, depth stencyl, and such by Direct3d8

I was wondering if it could be source related which I believe it partially is but still there has to be the 3D part of it because the exported model bears the information about the lighting map in it. Anyway, thanks a lot for the reply!

Source? Really...

@Sand

i search it 2 :) 2011 to 2019

Spoiler

Ymir Entertainment was founded in 1999 in Seoul, Korea and 
is currently headed by Byoung Gwan Kim as CEO. The company 
started developing its first 2D online game Metin the same 
year it was founded. The game was commercially launched in 
Korea a year later and received a prize from the Korean 
                    Ministry of Information and Communication in December of the 
                    same year. Following the success of their flagship game Ymir 
                    Entertainment immediately started work on the game’s sequel 
                    Metin 2, which went into Closed Beta in Korea in May 2004. 
                    The game was officially launched in Korea and China in March 
                    2005 before being launched in Asia, Europe and North America 
                    in the years that followed. In January 2011 all of the company’s 
                    shares were bought by Webzen Inc., a Korean game giant known for 
                    their popular MMORPG, MU Online. The company was also awarded 
                    Gameforge’s Global Best Partner of the Year in 2011.

Source: https://mmos.com/publishers/ymir-entertainment

Thank you ymir 🙂 ❤️ and F*** you Gameforge, 2011 you ruined it.

vor 1 Minute schrieb Sandworks:

Of course there is a piece of code in the renderer that handles the lighting maps but that is not what I meant. That is why I mentioned that I am interested in the model part.

i know what you mean. ?

Spoiler

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Sandworks:

And do you have an idea how to?

im sorry.. no i search it and never find it.

Spoiler

I've been looking for this too some time ago and haven't found anything yet.

First of all, I don't think those kind of textures are handmade but generated by 3ds max.

Then maybe you don't even have to link the texture to the model, maybe it's already done when you tell 3ds max to create this texture for the model.

• Premium
14 minutes ago, ElRenardo said:

First of all, I don't think those kind of textures are handmade but generated by 3ds max.

Then maybe you don't even have to link the texture to the model, maybe it's already done when you tell 3ds max to create this texture for the model.

That is exactly what I thought but I was just curious if there is a way to do it vice versa - to assign the texture and make it work the way it is supposed to work. Maybe @.plechito' knows more about this?

• Bronze
12 minut temu, ElRenardo napisał:

Yes, these textures r generated by 3ds max (but first u need to create a light scene with objects). 

In the material editor select the right type (name it correctly) and lightning map add as a second channel (default texture as a first channel). 

Or if there r lighting textures (objects from another game) then u need to recreate the UVW for all objects in the scene - but it can take a lot of time.

• Love 2