[client]Dynamic Shadows

Hello everyone, today i'm on my second day trying to expand dynamic shadows view range, i found many limiters here and there for example SHADOW_APPLY_MAX_DISTANCE, bShadow_cutoff but none of those seem to be really affecting shadow range, Dynamic Shadows are rendered inside a square (not a circle so radius like constants mentioned above or distance between mainInstance and targetInstance are not involved) around the current playing character. Do you guys know if there's a cube or a square for dynamic shadows to be rendered on, and if so where is it defined? Hope you can help me I can't really figure it out.

SOLVED: matLightProj was set to 2400.0f x 2400.0f x 1 x 15000.0f, changing the height and width of projection matrix will project more shadows

UPDATE: larger projection will upscale shadow texture so it results in a shadow quality reduction, it can be partially bypassed by increasing m_wShadowMapSize but only up to a limit of 8192 set by Direct3d8.

• Love 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 5:19 PM, OtherChoice said:

Hello everyone, today i'm on my second day trying to expand dynamic shadows view range, i found many limiters here and there for example SHADOW_APPLY_MAX_DISTANCE, bShadow_cutoff but none of those seem to be really affecting shadow range, Dynamic Shadows are rendered inside a square (not a circle so radius like constants mentioned above or distance between mainInstance and targetInstance are not involved) around the current playing character. Do you guys know if there's a cube or a square for dynamic shadows to be rendered on, and if so where is it defined? Hope you can help me I can't really figure it out.

SOLVED: matLightProj was set to 2400.0f x 2400.0f x 1 x 15000.0f, changing the height and width of projection matrix will project more shadows

UPDATE: larger projection will upscale shadow texture so it results in a shadow quality reduction, it can be partially bypassed by increasing m_wShadowMapSize but only up to a limit of 8192 set by Direct3d8.

I changed the height and width, buy it only makes my shadow bigger or smaller. What have you changed exactly ? Thanks.

I changed from 2400.0f x 2400.0f x 1 x 15000.0f to 3400.0f x 3400.0f x 1 x 15000.0f

• Metin2 Dev 1