Work with VS2019 and Windows as Host for Server

The most people work still with VS2013 because of the toolset. I want to work with VS2019 but i have to update the client source, so it can be compiled on the newest toolset from VS2019. Is there any tutorial/document that show me how to do that? 

Second Question is, i want use my Windows 10 as Host for my Server, so that im not dependent anymore on FreeBSD. And I want build my Server Source on VS2019 and not anymore on FreeBSD. I saw it by  @Sanii, how he didnt work anymore with FreeBSD and instead he use his Windows 10 and XAMPP. Is there a tutorial/document that show me how to do that?

• Bronze

Doesn't make a big difference tbh. If you want to switch into VS 2019 you can do this with no hesitation - just keep using current toolset.

Here you have manual from xampp site:

https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Windows_installation_using_XAMPP

There is no much of changes to be made in conf.txt.

• Premium

https://alternativeto.net/software/xampp/ you can use an alternative of course.

For srcs server, client or tools , yes you can compile with visual 2013+ and you can use windows serverfiles, but i don't recommend for real server the BSD is the best.

Build your own extern with dynamic libraries .

You can rewrite the project via cmake/premake5/mesonbuild buildsystem etc..

So far is easy to upgrade. ;)

• Metin2 Dev 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Moț:

https://alternativeto.net/software/xampp/ you can use an alternative of course.

For srcs server, client or tools , yes you can compile with visual 2013+ and you can use windows serverfiles, but i don't recommend for real server the BSD is the best.

Build your own extern with dynamic libraries .

You can rewrite the project via cmake/premake5/mesonbuild buildsystem etc..

So far is easy to upgrade. ;)

I know, I would never bring up the live Server on Windows. I want that it be more pleasent for me and I like more the IDE of VS. It would be enough for me, when I can compile Server Source on VS2019 and then just upload the db and game file on my FreeBSD. And I know it's possible to do that all, but that are not my question. I asked for a tutorial/documents, that show to me how to do it. 

• Bronze

I've been using windows as my development environment since 2014.

I have never used it as a production environment.

but from what I see windows files are pretty much stable. (depends on what you add to the files)

you'll just need to download one thing to make it work.

Mysql server.

other than that just compile any library needed using the same Visual Studio version that's all.

• Former Staff

Why XAMPP? Just install MySQL Installer or MariaDB installer from the official setups.

No need to carry extra stuff, with MySQL Notifier you can already manage everything.

Both Client and Server source are easy to upgrade, it's just rebuilding the Extern and downloading the MySQL Connector C.

Everyday you wake up as a Metin2 developer is a bad day...

METIN1 src when

vor 3 Minuten schrieb arves100:

Why XAMPP? Just install MySQL Installer or MariaDB installer from the official setups.

No need to carry extra stuff, with MySQL Notifier you can already manage everything.

Both Client and Server source are easy to upgrade, it's just rebuilding the Extern and downloading the MySQL Connector C.

So I have to just rebuild the extern? But how I can do it with Server Source? I think there is more to rebuild just the extern,so I can compile it with vs2019

• Former Staff
4 minutes ago, blackList said:

So I have to just rebuild the extern? But how I can do it with Server Source? I think there is more to rebuild just the extern,so I can compile it with vs2019

1 or 2 fix in and here for some defines but that's really all. Also updating the projects.

for the client it's just an upgrade of the projects.

Everyday you wake up as a Metin2 developer is a bad day...

METIN1 src when

I'm not using XAMPP, I'm just using MySql57 as a Windows-Service, so directly downloaded and installed from Oracle.

As other guys already mentioned here it's just rebuilding some of the externals, especially the cryptopp(cryptlib) which is only needed if youre using the improved paket encryption. (For Server)

I remember that @Yiv was helping me years ago to get the serversource running on windows, because there some differences in some methods for Windows and BSD.

So some parts of the code needs to be changed via compiler defines in VS (sth. like _WIN32)

Im not sure how it's about other sources like mainline_sg or sth else...