Some questions from a beginner

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the metin scene a little better and I want to create my own server for fun. I've programmed before in C#, Java,VB etc. but I want to grasp a better understanding of Python / C++. Therefore metin 2 is going to be like a learning project for me and I'll probably have some fun at the same time.

Before I ramble on I have a couple of questions about the metin2 scene.

1. What is the purpose of the server source?

2. What is the purpose of the game source?

3. What is the difference between the server source and the server which you upload on freebsd?

4. What is the difference between the game source and the normal game client?

That's all I'd like to know for now, thank you and have a nice day :)

On 3/22/2019 at 8:14 PM, BigBoss said:

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the metin scene a little better and I want to create my own server for fun. I've programmed before in C#, Java,VB etc. but I want to grasp a better understanding of Python / C++. Therefore metin 2 is going to be like a learning project for me and I'll probably have some fun at the same time.

Before I ramble on I have a couple of questions about the metin2 scene.

1. What is the purpose of the server source?

2. What is the purpose of the game source?

3. What is the difference between the server source and the server which you upload on freebsd?

4. What is the difference between the game source and the normal game client?

That's all I'd like to know for now, thank you and have a nice day :)

To be honest some of those questions sounds kinda weird to me if you have already programmed before, if you want to know the purpose of server/game source you should just look at them in visual studio.. The difference between server source and the server which you upload on freebsd is that the second one use lua for the quest, so if you want to add a new system to your server, you are limited on what you can do, while with the source you have no limit on the changes you can do. Plus you will use the second one in order to add new quests, new map, new monster etc.

Game source and normal client is kinda the same thing, with the source you will create the metin2client.exe file that will load files from the client (images, items, npcs, maps, monsters etc.)

TLDR: Sources are used to modify what your client can do, client and server are used to add quests, items, maps and everything your client already can do. Anyway once you will try to modify them you will understand everything.

• Love 1

firma-froslass-inforge.jpg.bfe3c3922fa3995f53d9d1be2153d381.jpg

54 minutes ago, [GF]Froslass said:

To be honest some of those questions sounds kinda weird to me if you have already programmed before, if you want to know the purpose of server/game source you should just look at them in visual studio.. The difference between server source and the server which you upload on freebsd is that the second one use lua for the quest, so if you want to add a new system to your server, you are limited on what you can do, while with the source you have no limit on the changes you can do. Plus you will use the second one in order to add new quests, new map, new monster etc.

Game source and normal client is kinda the same thing, with the source you will create the metin2client.exe file that will load files from the client (images, items, npcs, maps, monsters etc.)

TLDR: Sources are used to modify what your client can do, client and server are used to add quests, items, maps and everything your client already can do. Anyway once you will try to modify them you will understand everything.

Honestly, thank you so much for the reply. Since I wrote the question I've learnt a lot about the files and I've gained a little more knowledge about the scene. I've already compiled my game file form the source file etc. I have one question (I should probably make a new thread about it). I've successfully compiled the game file using the server source, do I also have to compile the database the same way ? (navigate to the db src folder and use the gmake command?) because the game file has been created but there isn't a database file.

Edit: In addition, is there a way to make compiling faster? If I change one file do I have to compile the whole game / db files everytime ? Because the process takes a long time..

Thanks

9 hours ago, BigBoss said:

Honestly, thank you so much for the reply. Since I wrote the question I've learnt a lot about the files and I've gained a little more knowledge about the scene. I've already compiled my game file form the source file etc. I have one question (I should probably make a new thread about it). I've successfully compiled the game file using the server source, do I also have to compile the database the same way ? (navigate to the db src folder and use the gmake command?) because the game file has been created but there isn't a database file.

Edit: In addition, is there a way to make compiling faster? If I change one file do I have to compile the whole game / db files everytime ? Because the process takes a long time..

Thanks

Yes you need to use the gmake command, here it is a guide if you are stuck at some point: 

And no, sadly i don’t know any way to compile faster ?

firma-froslass-inforge.jpg.bfe3c3922fa3995f53d9d1be2153d381.jpg