M2 port from FreeBSD to Debian (8/9)

Spoiler

Hi,

I found my self a new friend with his help I can do some work - I am not alone to all of the M2 related stuff alone, so it helps a lot :)

I want to port M2 to Debian - as I say, some kind of normal/regular OS, not that BSD bullsh...

So I am wondering which libraries have to be ported? I 

I think stuff from compat7x, for the BSD stuff. But I think there is more to that.

I have seen tutorials to run M2 on Windows, but It is almost the same as FreeBSD... i want some good linux OS, if not Debian, ubuntu should be good either.

I hope that there is someone out there who can help me. 

Thanks. 

btw. I found this but I am not sure if it can help me or not.

https://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

I would like to apologize for the post above. I have never worked in FreeBSD for period of time longer. I have done some research about FreeBSD and I agree about most of the things written down bellow - I didnt try much, but as I read, I found out it is great OS and I am thing about installing it to my RPi for home server.

Litte back story for what I have wrote. A few people who I know and has far more bigger with Linux/Unix based operating systems (one of them work for IBM as unix support - he hates freebsd, mostly because of M2 noobs, like me...). And when you are surrounded by people who don't like the OS, one more time I am sorry for this hate that I have shared.

Why Debian ? Well I am more comfortable with the way it works, it's package manager. But as I watched the rise of newer versions (7,8 and 9) after release the kernel was unstable and I waited around a year before upgrading. The kernel get fixed after few (2-3) months, but the packages are junk even after 10 months (some of them). So I still run my server on Debian 8.

FreeBSD bull***? You don't know what you're saying.

*BSD are the most stable OS for Server Environment. I know what I am saying, I work as a sysadmin in a Datacenter and I face a lot of issues with the latest Ubuntu's, Debian's and so on...

The problem with the Metin2 Source is that it uses old dependencies, that's it's problem.

FreeBSD as a lot of good stuff for example Jails which are far more mature than Docker and LXC, better Firewall with PF or IPFW, CARP, HAST, ZFS... Their Kernel is more clean and stable than other Linux Kernel.

You are free to ask for help in that porting just don't say wrong things about FreeBSD which aren't true.

• Love 3

• 1 month later...

@arves100, @Suspect

Guys, I have to say I was blind. Thank you for your time taken by replying to my topic. I want to learn some FreeBSD now, so if you have any advices... If you have something like security guidlines and beginner and basic stuff.

I would like to apologize for the post above. I have never worked in FreeBSD for period of time longer. I have done some research about FreeBSD and I agree about most of the things written down bellow - I didnt try much, but as I read, I found out it is great OS and I am thing about installing it to my RPi for home server.

Litte back story for what I have wrote. A few people who I know and has far more bigger with Linux/Unix based operating systems (one of them work for IBM as unix support - he hates freebsd, mostly because of M2 noobs, like me...). And when you are surrounded by people who don't like the OS, one more time I am sorry for this hate that I have shared.

Why Debian ? Well I am more comfortable with the way it works, it's package manager. But as I watched the rise of newer versions (7,8 and 9) after release the kernel was unstable and I waited around a year before upgrading. The kernel get fixed after few (2-3) months, but the packages are junk even after 10 months (some of them). So I still run my server on Debian 8.

• 4 months later...

why would anyone ever use any *bsd? stable kernel?

just remove whatever crap you dont need in linux and make it more stable that way

freebsd is horrible..always was

the kernel conf are we still in 1980 where we need 'vi' to edit our kernel conf? jesus..make menuconfig ftw!

ports? worst package manager out there..it just reminds me of old dinosaur distro's like slackware..get with times people!

just because something's old and "stable" because nobody ever makes enough changes to stir shit around doesn't make it *great*

freebsd had its time and its ups and downs..i remember the days when people used to run bsd because linux would give out kernel panics every other month and lose the "precious uptime"

I also remember the days when I had to patch the bsd kernel in order to be able to support more than 1 ip on the system

or the times when I had to ask people for a filelist to remove files because something as simple as tcl wouldn't work because of a dirty uninstall from ports

so in my VERY humble opinion...freebsd is trash and oldschool and had its time... want a real distro? ---> gentoo

best package system I've ever seen on any distro...hard for beginners to install but totally worth the effort once you get everything up and running

and if you manage to install gentoo from 0 all the way to a 'usable' desktop being a beginner? my congrats..you just learnt quite a few things along the way xD

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium
On 2/24/2018 at 10:36 AM, GostMan said:

why would anyone ever use any *bsd? stable kernel?

just remove whatever crap you dont need in linux and make it more stable that way

freebsd is horrible..always was

the kernel conf are we still in 1980 where we need 'vi' to edit our kernel conf? jesus..make menuconfig ftw!

ports? worst package manager out there..it just reminds me of old dinosaur distro's like slackware..get with times people!

just because something's old and "stable" because nobody ever makes enough changes to stir shit around doesn't make it *great*

freebsd had its time and its ups and downs..i remember the days when people used to run bsd because linux would give out kernel panics every other month and lose the "precious uptime"

I also remember the days when I had to patch the bsd kernel in order to be able to support more than 1 ip on the system

or the times when I had to ask people for a filelist to remove files because something as simple as tcl wouldn't work because of a dirty uninstall from ports

so in my VERY humble opinion...freebsd is trash and oldschool and had its time... want a real distro? ---> gentoo

best package system I've ever seen on any distro...hard for beginners to install but totally worth the effort once you get everything up and running

and if you manage to install gentoo from 0 all the way to a 'usable' desktop being a beginner? my congrats..you just learnt quite a few things along the way xD

Vi on freeBSD? Do you know ee have been made for beign more user friendly? (btw vi is easy, INS -> do your stuff -> ESC and :wq, too difficult right? or having a cheatsheet near you might help)

The ports have been deprecated in favor of pkg (same thing as apt)

The kernel in freebsd is super stable nowadays, some things in OSX are based on bsd for a reason.

All the other problems that you mention are because you clearly didn't know how to handle those issues or you just didn't use man/docs enough.

Plus the BSD license is the real shit.

All hail freebsd